Is there a problem with WAB 2.5 and LocalLayer 2.5? I cant seem to get the LocalLayer widget to show up.

Jump to solution
10-11-2017 09:02 AM
LesHampton
New Contributor III

I have been using the Local Layer Widget for a long time. I am upgrading to WAB 2.5 and followed the directions for the 2.5 LocalLayer widget but it will not show up in any App I try to configure. I haven't had any problems in the past versions and cant figure out what I am doing wrong.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Les,

Can you check that your LocalLayer widget folder does not have a sub folder inside it before you see the manifest.json. Many people make the mistake because the widget come from GitHub they leave the word master in the widgets folder name too.

Edit:    in the 2.5 version of the widget there is a folder structure that will not allow you to just extract the files from the zip into the stemapp widget folder.

you need to just extract LocalLayer-2.5\2D\LocalLayer folder to the stemapp widget folder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

LES HAMPTON  for what it is worth, when I created a new app in 2.5 the Local Layer widget did not show, but I think I missed a step and plan to step thru the again (from Adam's readme file).

Just to see if/how it would work, I decided to export an older app (v1.2) and import that into 2.5.  That was the last one I found that was using the local layer.  It actually loaded just fine, and it does show the LL widget (although most likely not latest version) and surprisingly, all seems to be working. 

Have you tried importing your previous version?  My guess is you and I will still need to update all the widgets, but at least you would have something to review/compare.  That's what I plan to use mine for (since I do want to have the newer version).

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

fyi, I'm working on updating my /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2015/02/04/tips-for-using-the-custom-locallayer-widget-with-wab-dev-edition   document...should have a 2.5 version posted later today or in the morning.

For my imported 1.2 version the LL widget is working as it is supposed to.  I messed up with updating/fixing the 2.5 app that I created a couple days ago.  For some reason the LL is wanting to be in the on screen section.  I have a question into Adam to try to figure that out https://community.esri.com/message/721284-re-locallayerwidget-version-25-and-accessifizrwidget-layer... 

But after following the readme and my tips, any new app I create is showing up as it should.    Unlike the onscreen widgets, where you can just drop the folder into the \widgets folder, the Local Layer requires a bit more setting up.

LesHampton
New Contributor III

Rebecca,

I made a clean install on a second PC and added the localLayer folder to the \client\stemapp\widgets directory, and added the reference code to the \client\stemapp\predefined-apps\default\config.json. LocalLayer Code

Creating a default App with the "Foldable Theme" does not show the LocalLayer anywhere in the App. I updated an app that had the LocalLayer in it and it showed up fine.

I haven't added the rererences to the other theme folders as this should not matter if I don't use them. I checked very carefully that I followed every tip and introductions for the LocalLayer Widget. I successfully made this install/upgrade to every version of the WAB and LocalLayer since they came into existence. Am I the only one with this problem?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Les,

Can you check that your LocalLayer widget folder does not have a sub folder inside it before you see the manifest.json. Many people make the mistake because the widget come from GitHub they leave the word master in the widgets folder name too.

Edit:    in the 2.5 version of the widget there is a folder structure that will not allow you to just extract the files from the zip into the stemapp widget folder.

you need to just extract LocalLayer-2.5\2D\LocalLayer folder to the stemapp widget folder.

0 Kudos
LesHampton
New Contributor III

Robert,

I tried it both ways, with both folders renamed "LocalLayer" or just one folder. I just tried the LocalLayer code for 2.3 with the WAB 2.5 and the LocalLayer widget shows up and seems to be functional.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Les,

It is something you are missing then as I have 2.5 version working fine in WAB Dev 2.5.  Your path needs to look like this for the manifest.json

WAB Install Dir\client\stemapp\widgets\LocalLayer\maifest.json

0 Kudos
LesHampton
New Contributor III

Robert,

That would be the problem! There is no manifest.json file in the unzipped code from GIThub. I have 3 different downloads, LocalLayer-Master.zip, LocalLayer-2.5.zip and LocalLayer-2.5.tar and none of them have a manefest.json file in that folder. There is a manifest.json file in the 2D\LocalLayer\ and 3D\LocalLayer\ folders. Should I copy one the them to the  "LocalLayer" folder?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Les,

Yes that is what I have been trying to say. 

in the 2.5 version of the widget there is a folder structure that will not allow you to just extract the files from the zip into the stemapp widget folder.

LesHampton
New Contributor III

Robert,

Well, Duh, on my part. You even had it typed in red...... Sorry about that.

0 Kudos