Is is possible to save user searches in the eSearch tool?

01-14-2016 03:28 PM
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

I've started using the eSearch tool written by Robert Scheitlin in place of the OOB Web AppBuilder query tool, and it works great.  The mouse has now been given a cookie, however, so our users want more...

Is is possible to save particular searches for users, which could then possibly be made accessible to groups of users?  I can imagine how this might be done using the configuration window of the app, but obviously I don't want to allow users into the full app config role.  I'm thinking that the user would need a way to save the query with data as its own JSON (like the app level config does) but then just reload that for particular users. 

If it's been done before I'd rather not reinvent the wheel, but I haven't found an examples of this particular case in my searches.

Thanks in advance,

Mikkel

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mikkel,

I have not done this and likely will not anytime in the future. My belief is that the eSearch is something that needs to be setup by the WAB admin to contain canned searches and not afford the user the ability to create their own searches. Yes there will be some users that will know what they are doing and understand SQL syntax but the vast majority of users do not. Others have started a Query Builder widget and I have minimally contributed to it but I am not a fan of the open query idea. Anyway I thought I would just explain my stand on this.

MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

I agree that it is a tool best limited to some set of 'super-user' types.  In the wrong hands it just leads to trouble. 

0 Kudos