eSearch combo boxes

Jump to solution
02-10-2016 09:40 AM
RudoDuncan
New Contributor II

Robert Scheitlin, GISP

Is there a way to use different web services to fill up my combo boxes? Predefined and letting them load dynamically takes too long.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rudo,

That is what option 1 does but you are working with millions of records so the time it takes to process unique values... It is what it is.

Do you really need those millions of records? Why not provide a definition query that will limit the data to the last several months or something?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rudo,

I am not sure have predefined could take to long but your three option are:

1. Unique values (as you mentioned with 2 million records this is not recommended).
  2. Build predefined lists
  3. Do the work on the ArcGIS Desktop side of adding coded value domains for this data. Domains will automatically provide a dropdown list in the widget.

Short of that you would need to hire a developer to modify the widget to create a dropdown list from a ArcGIS Server query of a field which in turn is exactly what option 1 is doing.

0 Kudos
RudoDuncan
New Contributor II

Ah ok, predefined takes long for the fact that I have to type in all of the records (there are a lot). Also, when new entries are added I will have to go back and put them in manually. I wanted something that can reading directly from the web service or SQL database table.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rudo,

That is what option 1 does but you are working with millions of records so the time it takes to process unique values... It is what it is.

Do you really need those millions of records? Why not provide a definition query that will limit the data to the last several months or something?

0 Kudos
RudoDuncan
New Contributor II

I'll try that. Thank you.

0 Kudos