Deploying a Custom Web App Widget – Portal for ArcGIS

01-30-2015 05:41 AM
TayfunOrtabostan
New Contributor II

Hi,

Is there any way the deployment of the custom widgets to use in Portal for ArcGIS (not ArcGIS online)?

As GIS team we have a custom widget but we can not use it with any web application on our GIS Portal. Also we can just use it with stand-alone Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition).

How can we use it withany web application on Portal for ArcGIS or what location can we copy the custom widget on Portal for ArcGIS server? How can we see it in widgetpool of Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS?

Thanks a lot for your valuable answers.

14 Replies
TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

Tayfun,

I have the very same issue and couldn't find a solution yet. I have copied the eSearch Widget files to stemapp folder in Developer edition and the widget appeared in the pool. However when I copy the same files to the stemapp folder of Portal for ArcGIS I was not able to see the widget in the WAB inside the Portal.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Guys,

It seems that the code base in WAB Dev, AGOL WAB and WAB Portal are not all the same.  WAB Dev and  AGOL WAB are the same but for some reason WAB Portal is behind in the code base. My suggestion is to get WAB Dev version and copy all the files in the stemapp folder from WAB Dev to WAB Portal as Tuna suggests.

AnthonyDaniels
New Contributor II

Robert,

Do I use the Portal front end to copy my Dev WAB files by adding an application?

Dose anyone know Portal file directory schema?  It is real easy for Dev WAB

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Anthony,

You can find the Portal file at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\webappbuilder\stemapp this is the folder that you need to replace with the stemapp folder from WAB Dev.

0 Kudos
ReganSarwas
New Contributor

Can you please clarify how WAB works on portal?

When I view a WAB app built in Portal, it uses the "compiled" code in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\webappviewer, and doesn't seem to care what is in the webappbuilder\stemapp folder.

It appears to me that the WAB apps on Portal are "items" like any other story map, and not separate folders of code like in the dev build.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Regan,

What is the context of your question? The original query was about using custom widget in portal. The webappviewer is just a minified version of the WAB code.

0 Kudos
ReganSarwas
New Contributor

Robert,

Same context:  Using a custom widget on Portal (v10.3).

When I use the web app builder builtin to the UI of Portal (i.e. Map->Share->Web App->Web App Builder...)  it creates a Portal item with a url like /arcgis/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=XXXX, ​not a url to a modified copy of the stemapp folder (like the dev version).  Since updating the stemapp folder does not update the webappviewer, I'm either missing additional steps or going about this all wrong.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Regan,

This is something I have on my list to talk with the dev team about next week at the Dev Summit. Currently there is a big issue where WAB in Portal is not the same as WAB Dev and/or AGOL WAB. Portal is also using JS API 3.11 currently. I have done a lot of testing on a development machine with portal and have figured out how to manually add some widgets but then ran into the issue that some of the widget were using components of jimu.js that were missing in the older version of WAB that portal uses. This is a significant issue with Portal being one version, WAB Developer being another and AGOL yet another...

0 Kudos
ReganSarwas
New Contributor

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the summit this year.  I look forward to hearing what you and others learn.

0 Kudos