Custom Widget Not Available in WAB

04-18-2018 10:32 AM
JoshuaLapp
New Contributor

Hello all, I recently created an App Builder Extension in portal and I can't get it to show up as a widget in the portal Web App Builder.  I am using Portal 10.6.  Here were my steps:

1) copied the custom widget folder to a website hosted on IIS

2) added the custom widget into Portal clicking Add > an Application >  Application Extension (App Builder)

3) shared the application extension with my group.

4) Created a new web mapping application. 

The documentation states that custom widgets will show up in a tab titled "Custom Widgets" in the choose widget dialog box.  This isn't happening.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
deleted-user-bWhhezP4R-ec
New Contributor III

Did ya figure it out?

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joshua & Cameron,

Some suggestions to help troubleshoot:

Q1) Did you verify that you referenced the URL path to a manifest file correctly? For example, <server.domain.com>/<my widget>/manifest.json.

Q2) The web server where the custom widget is hosted, has anonymous access been enabled? has a JSON handler been added? HTTPS and CORS been enabled?

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Derek Law‌, I am having a similar issue. I am attempting to add a custom widget to my Portal's WAB for the first time. The widget is hosted on our web server and I added it as an Application Extension. It appears in the "Custom" widget section within the WAB interface, and I added it as a widget in the app configuration. The preview of the app shows the intended behavior of the widget. However, when you launch the application, it no longer appears. 

Any idea what could be causing this behavior?

Thanks!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Katherine,

What errors do you see in the browsers web console When you try and use the widget in your portal?

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for your response. As I mentioned, I am still very new to this customization process so it turned out to be a rookie mistake. After looking at the web console I was able to see that the app was trying to reference the wrong manifest URL for the widget, since IT changed the directory structure on our web server. (the reason I didn't suspect this initially is because the widget was displaying and behaving normally in the "builder" view). I was able to correct the situation by re-adding the widget as an Application Extension and updating the URL. 

As a side-note, a huge thank you for all the work that you've contributed to this community. The widget I was adding was the "Popup Panel" widget you created, and it's extremely useful. Resources like this are a huge help to someone like me who is just starting to explore the possibilities of customization, coming from a strictly "ArcGIS Online/Esri Hosted Services" environment.  

Cheers,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Katherine,

> ... it turned out to be a rookie mistake ... I was able to correct the situation by re-adding the widget as an Application Extension and updating the URL. 

I'm glad to hear your issue is resolved.

0 Kudos