Changes to a Custom Widget in a deployed app

Jump to solution
11-03-2015 12:17 PM
SteveClark
New Contributor III

I successfully deployed a web app to IIS with a custom widget. But when I make a change to the custom widget using my local Web AppBuilder Dev Edition (in the client\stemapp\widgets\<mywidget> folder) and re-download it, the resulting zip file does not pick up the change. Do I have to re-create the web app from scratch in order to add in the updated custom widget?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

Ok now I understand you are asking as a widget developer. If you are making widget changes in the StemApp then those will not be seen by the particular app that you already added the widget to. When you add a widget it copies the widget from the stemapp widgets folder at the time and now changes will need to be made in the specific app you are working with. So if you are updating the custom widgets code base you can simply copy that widgets folder over to the servers widgets folder.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

If you are talking about a configuration change to the custom widget, all you need to do is copy the .json file from the apps configs folder. There is no need to reflow load the app unless you have made changes to the WAB apps settings.

0 Kudos
SteveClark
New Contributor III

That would also include the .js and .html files as well? Just trying to determine the best maintenance workflow.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No not unless there was a coding change (i.e. New version added) there is no need to update those files.

0 Kudos
SteveClark
New Contributor III

Robert, you lost me on your reply. I was talking about widget.js,widget.html files that I wrote for my custom widget. Those simply can be copied to the server if I make a change? The only time I would need to re-deploy the web app if I were to (for example) add a new widget, etc.? I am still wondering why a simple change in my widget.js file did not get picked up by the Download.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

Ok now I understand you are asking as a widget developer. If you are making widget changes in the StemApp then those will not be seen by the particular app that you already added the widget to. When you add a widget it copies the widget from the stemapp widgets folder at the time and now changes will need to be made in the specific app you are working with. So if you are updating the custom widgets code base you can simply copy that widgets folder over to the servers widgets folder.

SteveClark
New Contributor III

Perfect. Thanks again for your help, Robert.

0 Kudos