AddData widget shapefile without projection file ".prj"

Jump to solution
04-27-2018 07:19 AM
Labels (1)
GilbertoMatos
Occasional Contributor II

Hello!

Personally, when using the AddData widget, I realized that it does not require the ".prj" file, which defines the projection in which the shapefile was generated (including rscheitlin informed me that it is not mandatory). Based on this, users have questioned me, how this shapefile import is performed. Our default is SIRGAS_2000, but if the shapefile was generated for example in WGS, what will the pattern look like? Does the sharing service automatically convert to the default where the system map is?

Thank you!
Gilberto.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gilberto,

It will create the features using the XY values of the shapefile and when it is added to the map it will assume that it is in the sample WKID as the map (no re-projection will be done). Prj files are a very important component of a shapefile if the data you are working with is not all in the same spatial reference.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Gilberto,

It will create the features using the XY values of the shapefile and when it is added to the map it will assume that it is in the sample WKID as the map (no re-projection will be done). Prj files are a very important component of a shapefile if the data you are working with is not all in the same spatial reference.

GilbertoMatos
Occasional Contributor II

Robert,

Thank you very much for your information.
Somehow I'll try to check if the ".zip" file exists ".prj". If I can, I'll post it here to share the knowledge.

Hug,
Gilberto.

0 Kudos