will an upgrade of portal and its web appbuilder affect my custom widgets

05-13-2022 05:11 AM
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

Hi!

I'm about to upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.8.1 to 10.9.1. We're using Portals built in Web AppBuilder which in 10.8.1 is version 2.16. We also have a lot of custom widgets that we host separatly but have registered with portal, our widgets are built with  Web AppBuilder version 2.16 to match our portal.

When we upgrade portal to 10.9.1 including Web AppBuilder version 2.21, do we have to do something with our custom widgets or can we excpect them to just work with Web AppBuilder version 2.21?

I've read that I have to change my configuration to my apps to use itemid instead of uri for all my custom widgets... But is there anything else I should be aware of?

Should I upgrade my widgets to use JSAPI v 3.37 somehow? 

1 Reply
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

In case someone else wonders, here's what I did:

• Downloaded Web AppBuilder version 2.21 and imported my custom widgets and tested them with wab 2.21, I think they got "updated" in the process according to this documentation https://developers.arcgis.com/web-appbuilder/guide/upgrade-custom-widget-and-theme.htm
  • Then I used ArcGIS Online Assistant to find all the "uri:s" for my custom widgets in my apps (in the apps json-config files) and saved them in a spreadsheet.
    (You might wonder why, because the info in this thread that is crucial).
  • Updated ArcGIS Enterprise to 10.9.1
  • I actually had the items for my custom widgets left in my portal, but just to be safe I removed them and re-registered them, this might have been totally unnecessary 🙂
  • When re-registering them I had some problems that turned out to be just in the swedish version of portal. So if anyone with a portal in swedish does this, the interface is changed and when you add wab extensions to the portal and it seems that theres is no option for it. But choose "the blank option" and enter the manifest.json url in the textbox and klick next.
  • I also saved the widgets ItemID:s to my spreadsheet.
  • Last step was to use my spreadsheet and ArcGIS Online Assistant to alter all my apps containing any of my custom apps, and change the "uri:s" to "itemID:s" according to this thread as mentioned earlier.
    https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/after-portal-update-to-10-9-webappbuilder-...

I totally agree with some writers in that thread that it should have been officially documented by ESRI. All apps using a custom widgets becomes completly broken, but can easily be fixed if you just know what to do. Kudos to @Anonymous User who found and shared the solution!

0 Kudos