Set selection symbology click from custom widget

Jump to solution
04-18-2022 12:54 PM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm trying to perform a selection from an attribute query, center the map and apply a symbol to the selection.  I know I'm selecting the correct point feature, the map centers on it, but I'm not sure how to change the symbol of that selected feature.

I'm applying the query on a feature layer in the source webmap.

e.target.id is just sending the value for the where of the query.

reply_click: function (e) {

console.log(e.target.id)
            this.map.itemInfo.itemData.operationalLayers.forEach(layer => {
                if (layer.layerObject) {
                    if (layer.title === "Water Use Application Facilities") {                        
                        var queryTask = new QueryTask(layer.layerObject)
                        var query = new Query();
                        query.returnGeometry = true;
                        query.outFields = ['*']
                        query.where = "facilityId = '" + e.target.id + "'"

layer.layerObject.setSelectionSymbol(new SimpleMarkerSymbol(this.config.selectionSymbol));
                        layer.layerObject.selectFeatures(query).then(function (features) {
                            if (layer.layerObject.geometryType === 'esriGeometryPoint' && features.length === 1) {
                                this.map.centerAt(features[0].geometry); //correctly centers

}
                        });
                    }
                }
            })
        },

symbology is defined in the config.json file of the widget:

"selectionSymbol": {
		"color": [
		],
		"size": 20.5,
		"angle": 0,
		"xoffset": 0,
		"yoffset": 0,
		"type": "esriSMS",
		"style": "esriSMSCircle",
		"outline": {
			"color": [
			],
			"width": 1.50,
			"type": "esriSLS",
			"style": "esriSLSSolid"
		}
	}

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@JamesCrandall Personally I do not use a FeatureLayer's selectFeatures method. I always just add a GraphicsLayer to the Map with the results of the query. The GL is overlayed on the FeatureLayer and easy to define the symbology you want.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@JamesCrandall You should try using 

layer.layerObject.setSelectionSymbol(symbolJsonUtils.fromJson(this.config.selectionSymbol));
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Robert -- thanks for the reply.

I still don't see any change in symbol on the selected feature.  In an attempt to simplify, I just added the SimpleMarkerSymbol reference directly in the code to see if that would work but still not getting the symbology to change.

I thought perhaps a layer.refresh() was needed but it has no affect.

var selSymbol = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE_SQUARE, 10,
                new SimpleLineSymbol(SimpleLineSymbol.STYLE_SOLID,
                    new Color([255, 0, 0]), 1),
                new Color([0, 255, 0, 0.25]));

console.log(e.target.id)
            this.map.itemInfo.itemData.operationalLayers.forEach(layer => {
                if (layer.layerObject) {
                    if (layer.title === "Water Use Application Facilities") {                        
                        var queryTask = new QueryTask(layer.layerObject)
                        var query = new Query();
                        query.returnGeometry = true;
                        query.outFields = ['*']
                        query.where = "facilityId = '" + e.target.id + "'"

//layer.layerObject.setSelectionSymbol(new SimpleMarkerSymbol(this.config.selectionSymbol));
                        var selSymbol = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE_SQUARE, 10, new SimpleLineSymbol(SimpleLineSymbol.STYLE_SOLID, new Color([255, 0, 0]), 1),new Color([0, 255, 0, 0.25]));
                        layer.layerObject.setSelectionSymbol(selSymbol);
                        layer.layerObject.selectFeatures(query).then(function (features) {
                            if (layer.layerObject.geometryType === 'esriGeometryPoint' && features.length === 1) {
                                this.map.centerAt(features[0].geometry);
                                //layer.layerObject.setSelectionSymbol(symbolJsonUtils.fromJson(selSymbol));
                                layer.layerObject.setSelectionSymbol(selSymbol);
                                layer.layerObject.refresh();
                            }
                        });
                    }
                }
            })

Just for reference, query.where is getting built with the e.target.id and seems to work fine because the map.centerAt() functions correctly when I click the specific item on the widget (e.target.id is the facilityId property found on the grid within the widget).

JamesCrandall_0-1650378441989.png

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@JamesCrandall Personally I do not use a FeatureLayer's selectFeatures method. I always just add a GraphicsLayer to the Map with the results of the query. The GL is overlayed on the FeatureLayer and easy to define the symbology you want.

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Was tired of banging my head against the wall on that setSelectionsSysmbol and just implemented a simply selection Graphic that is added to the map.  I supposed if I have other graphics to deal with then the wholesale map.graphics.clear() that I do prior to each call would need to change but for now this will work I think.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@JamesCrandall I also normally add a query specific GraphicsLayer to the map that way clearing the map.graphics does not affect the query that I am working with.