Roberts Custom WAB Widgets

12-31-2014 11:28 AM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
475 Replies
LarryPhelps
Occasional Contributor

Robert,

Your development is awesome! Thank you so much for offering these widgets for us to use.

Have you looked into anything that would enable the Google maps as Basemaps?

I know ESRI had a Google JavaScript library at one time that showed some examples of doing this, but it hasn't had any updates in a LONG time.

I think the ability to have Google Basemaps would be a huge advantage, that is one of the biggest compaints I get from users about the ESRI apps is that the Google imagery is better.

Thanks for any information or consideration you could give this.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Larry,

My interpretation (and many others too) of the Google Terms for Use/Service is that you can not legally do this. All the examples I have seen are a violation and can lead to legal action.

0 Kudos
BarnabyRockwell
Occasional Contributor III

^ ^ This is my impression as well.  For the most part, I am very happy with the ESRI World Imagery basemap.

0 Kudos
LarryPhelps
Occasional Contributor

I had explained to our Google rep what I would like to eventually do with our Google Maps API license and they didn't seem to have any concerns, in fact there are companies selling the capability to add it into Arcmap with the Arc2Earth what is different about what they are doing? I as well am personally happy with the ESRI imagery but am constantly fighting the Google battle with my users.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Larry,

I can not explain how Arc2Earth is making it past adding Google map tiles to ArcMap without violating the TOS that states that their tiles are not to used outside the Google maps API. Anyway the jist of it my understanding of the TOS prevents me from developing a widget or app that will use Google maps as a basemap.

0 Kudos
LarryPhelps
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your responses Robert, I appreciate it. I have directly asked my Google rep to tell me if I can develop a tool to add Google imagery as a basemap in an ESRI web map.

0 Kudos
MelissaMeneghetti
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Really appreciate all of the work you do to produce the custom WAB widgets. I see that you are taking a break but was hoping you may be able to answer a question. For the flex viewer there was a 'Selection' widget that was developed which was really comparable to ArcGIS desktop's 'select by attributes' and 'select by location' GUI. This is a pretty handy tool and easy for a user to use for selecting data.

The widget can be found here Selection Widget Updated Version for flex. Is there any consideration in the future for creating a WAB version of this tool.

Thanks!

Melissa

0 Kudos
DAVIDDAS1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Melissa,

You are right!

Indeed there was a Selection Widget in the Flex Version that mimicked the Select by Attribute Wizard in ArcMap.

You can see this Selection Widget in action right here.

http://www.tapasdas.com/Maps/Desktops/web29

SelectionWidget.jpg

Robert has stated his reasons why he does not want to bring this level of complexity to a Web App that will be used by the public.

0 Kudos
MelissaMeneghetti
New Contributor III

Thanks Tapas...this is exactly the widget I was referring too! Robert mentions another developer that is taking on this task?

0 Kudos
DAVIDDAS1
Occasional Contributor II

Melissa,

I am delighted to learn from Robert that someone is actually developing this Widget for the Web AppBuilder.

This is great news!

A lot of our internal folks (not the general public) would love to have this analysis tool.

0 Kudos