Printing Popup Contents

Jump to solution
10-26-2016 12:42 AM
ÇankayaBelediyesi
New Contributor III

I have a Web Mapping Application with a standard Print Widget. I would like to include the contents of the popup window in the printout.

Here is an example:

GIS Portal for the City of Abilene, TX

Standard printout:

Standard printout

Popup window:

Popup window

Desired printout:

Desired printout

My research so far:

There is a BLOG POST by esri explaining how to do this. This post shows 2 methods. The first method is not suitable for my purposes cause it requires manual data entries for each printout. The second method seems incomplete, Format & Layout_Template parameters are missing. Print does not work even if I add those parameters manually before publishing the service. If the second method worked properly, I would have modified it to match my needs, unfortunately it doesn't.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32363943/arcgis-javascript-web-map-printout-with-popup-shown

dojoOn(map.infoWindow, "selection-change", function(){ //build custom text here }

My knowledge on JavaScript is limited, so I couldn't manage what he explained here. Where am I supposed to add this and what should I include in the function?

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/111360/populate-a-layout-text-element-with-the-description-fr...

We have the print button generating an html page that pulls data from the database and formats it in pretty much an exact replica of the .mxd we were using. For the map it uses a function on the rest endpoint to generate an image from the map service.

This seems even more complicated than the others.

Either one the above solutions works for me.

1. add popup contents at the bottom of the print layout
  2. make use of "selection-change" event
  3. generate a new html page
  4. any other suggestion

TL;DR I want to include popup window or it's contents in the printout.

Thanks in advance.

75 Replies
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Can this be done without using portal?  I only have the 'plain' AGOL.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No

0 Kudos
JeffWilcox1
New Contributor III

Grateful for your contributions Robert and Çankaya, I was able to adapt this code in short order. I'm using this to generate webmaps where the focus of the printout is actually the attributes, with the map small (3"x3") for general situational awareness only.

In this instance, it becomes important to center the printout on my point of interest and fix the zoom level, do you know if there is a way to programatically send this to Print Widget?

Thanks again, this is fantastic!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff,

If I understand your question correctly you need to publish a custom print service on your own ArcGIS Server with a custom print layout.

0 Kudos
JeffWilcox1
New Contributor III

So the custom print service can tell the widget to print on the centroid of the selected feature? Basically i'm trying to ensure that the selected object in the WebApp prints at center every time.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Oh, ok I did not understand that was what you were after. You will need to add code in the print widget to set the maps extent center to the selected features centroid then.

0 Kudos
ÇankayaBelediyesi
New Contributor III

Hello Jeff,

You can do something like:

this.map.setLevel(this.map.getLevel() + 2);
this.map.centerAt(this.map.infoWindow.getSelectedFeature()._extent.getCenter());

Hope it helps.

JeffWilcox1
New Contributor III

exactly what I was looking for, thanks much!

0 Kudos
DeniseTingstad1
New Contributor III

This functionality works great, thank you.  I would like to take this one step further and get the functionality to zoom to a certain extent outside of the selected polygon so that way the entirety of the selected polygon will be visible on the printout.  Is this possible?

0 Kudos
ÇankayaBelediyesi
New Contributor III

Hello Denise,

I managed to find an answer to your question using Jeff Pace's answer in this thread: https://community.esri.com/thread/41918

print: function () {
    var myExtent = this.map.infoWindow.getSelectedFeature()._extent;
    this.map.setExtent(myExtent.expand(1.25), true);

setTimeout(function(){
          if (this.printSettingsFormDijit.isValid()) {
          } else {
             this.printSettingsFormDijit.validate();
          }
       }.bind(this, 1000);
 },

Hope this is what you had in mind.