Add/Remove Shapefile Widget issue

Jump to solution
06-02-2016 09:32 AM
TimHayes1
Occasional Contributor III

I tried using the Add Shapefile with Remove Option Widget by Diego Llamas AddShapefile with remove option.

I am using 7-zip to compress my shapefiles.

It works good when I add/remove a zipped polygon shapefile. Even though most, but not all, the polygons are misshapen. But, when I try to add a zipped point shapefile of 50 point features, I get this error:

2016-06-02_9-23-02.jpg

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHayes1

I found the answer. On my computer I have 7z Archive (zip/file compression) Software installed. In addition, by default Windows allows you to compress a file by right click on file and choose Send to - Compressed (zipped) folder.

Since I also have the 7z software installed I have two choices - Send to Compressed (zipped) folder AND Send to 7z Archive. I kept choosing the 7z option out of habit.

In order for the Add/Remove Shapefile to work you must highlight all the files associated with the Shapefile and then right click and choose Send to - Compressed (zipped) folder.

Also, when you add more than one Shapefile, you can only remove the last one added. You cannot remove the ones added before. So, it seems recommended that if you plan to remove a shapefile, only add one, then remove, then add another, then remove.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TimHayes1

I found the answer. On my computer I have 7z Archive (zip/file compression) Software installed. In addition, by default Windows allows you to compress a file by right click on file and choose Send to - Compressed (zipped) folder.

Since I also have the 7z software installed I have two choices - Send to Compressed (zipped) folder AND Send to 7z Archive. I kept choosing the 7z option out of habit.

In order for the Add/Remove Shapefile to work you must highlight all the files associated with the Shapefile and then right click and choose Send to - Compressed (zipped) folder.

Also, when you add more than one Shapefile, you can only remove the last one added. You cannot remove the ones added before. So, it seems recommended that if you plan to remove a shapefile, only add one, then remove, then add another, then remove.

FaryalSafdar
New Contributor

tim how you remove the shapefile ?

0 Kudos