water web isolation tool - Valve Classification and Barriers

08-25-2016 09:25 AM
YaneevGolombek
New Contributor II

I just got this tool working for my organization and so far it is well received!

A couple question about the water web isolation tool.

Since the tool isolates affected customers, it would be helpful to notify all customers affected when an outage occurs. In the clip below, the circled areas are affected by the break since the lines run down a cul de sac. Yet the isolated stops at the beginning of the cul de sac. Is there away to easily code these valves so the tool will included these lines/customers in these circumstances?

Also, I'm a little unclear about the purpose of the Barrier tool. Per the second clip, the only thing they appear to do is expand the isolation area polygon, yet features inside are not selected. What is the main purpose of the Barrier sub-tool?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Greg,

The Water Outage solution includes the improved logic for dead ends. https://solutions.arcgis.com/water/help/water-outage/

0 Kudos
GregHorch
New Contributor III

I am trying to get a more complete outage area polygon and summary data (count of services effected etc).  The neighborhood depicted in the attached image is fed from only one direction due to some closed pressure boundary valves at the SE corner. 

isolation trace outage area

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

You can set the trace up to load barriers for closed valves. Take a look at the system_barriers parameter. Are you using this?

https://solutions.arcgis.com/water/help/water-outage/tool-reference/generate-web-isolation-trace-toolbox.htm

GregHorch
New Contributor III

Thank Michael. Properly setting up the system barriers and evaluating paths to controllers did the trick.  This did come with a tremendous performance hit in a large network (80K valves, 1500 closed valves, 150K mains, 620K service lines) on SQL server database.  Performance is much better in a fgdb stored on the ArcServer box with isolation traces through WAB taking just under 4 minutes.  Does this sound about right?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

That is a lot of barriers to load from the database. Are those valves always closed? I would have to look at the code, but there maybe a way to cache them too, to improve performance.

0 Kudos
GregHorch
New Contributor III

I would say they are normally closed, but not always closed.  Could it be as simple as setting Enabled to False for those valves?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

I looked over the code, you would have to modify it to load barriers from a static class. It would help to enable debug logging and get more information about where the slow down is occurring. You will need to modify the pyt. In line 32, change logger.setLevel('INFO') to logger.setLevel('DEBUG'). Run the pyt in ArcMap. There should be much more verbose messaging. Can you post the results or email them to me at mmiller@esri.com

0 Kudos