water web isolation tool - Valve Classification and Barriers

08-25-2016 09:25 AM
YaneevGolombek
New Contributor II

I just got this tool working for my organization and so far it is well received!

A couple question about the water web isolation tool.

Since the tool isolates affected customers, it would be helpful to notify all customers affected when an outage occurs. In the clip below, the circled areas are affected by the break since the lines run down a cul de sac. Yet the isolated stops at the beginning of the cul de sac. Is there away to easily code these valves so the tool will included these lines/customers in these circumstances?

Also, I'm a little unclear about the purpose of the Barrier tool. Per the second clip, the only thing they appear to do is expand the isolation area polygon, yet features inside are not selected. What is the main purpose of the Barrier sub-tool?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your question Yaneev Golombek‌. I am including my colleague Mike Miller who would possibly be able to answer your question.

mmiller-esristaff‌ - can you help with this question?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

The trace is a simple find connected and does not have advance logic to find dead end areas, like a cul-de-sac.  If you are looking for a tool that determines this, we have a toolset for ArcMap that does this.  

Barriers are useful if you have pinch-able pipe, like in a gas system.

0 Kudos
YaneevGolombek
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response. Which ArcMap tools accomplish this? Thanks.

MikeMillerGIS

You can find the toolset here: http://solutions.arcgis.com/utilities/water/help/network-editing/

YaneevGolombek
New Contributor II

Michael,

Another question, if you have an answer. The tool has a "skip location" command for bypassing valves. I see it in webapp widget the tool configuration and it works via the arcmap model when running in ArcMap or publishing to the server. However, When running the tool online after publishing, I do not see it. I only see the flags and barriers. Is it possible to bring the "skip location" tool/icon into this window as well? Thanks.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

You can select a valve to skip it, it is part of the valve pop up. It is not exposed as a tool to manually place them. You could extend the model to provide another feature set input to do this though.

0 Kudos
TL2
by
Occasional Contributor III

How do we add this to our own App.  Is it done in the web map?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

When you configure the widget, you set the valve layer as skip-able.

GregHorch
New Contributor III

Hi Michael -  Are there plans to enhance the Web Isolation Trace to handle the advanced logic for dead ends in a geometric network? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos