Utility Network - Thoughts...

02-03-2020 08:50 AM
JenniferCrawford
New Contributor

Our organization is looking at moving to the Utility Network data model, but we have heard mixed reviews.  Anyone using the model currently have any insight (good or bad)?

2 Replies
ThomasYork2
New Contributor II

Jennifer, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking my question - Would anyone who switched be willing to share if they used a consultant or ESRI to manage the transition or did you do it all in house?

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

As a consultant who has been involved with the Utility Network model since it's early alpha and beta releases I'll leave my 2 cents.  The hardest part of the implementation of water/storm/sewer is going to be working through all the data preparation / cleanup, and for that I'd highly recommend using Esri or a Consultant to help manage that part. If you have a strong data conversion team in house they should be able to handle the conversion, with some guidance from Esri or a Consultant.  If you don't have a strong data conversion team in house you will likely need to bring in an outside consultant.  If you do end up going the consultant route I recommend you look for consultants who have been Certified as capable of implementing the Utility Network by Esri.  If you want to do it all in house then a good place to start would be to take all of the classes and certifications recommended by Esri to get certified.