Utility Network - Sewer Tracing - Elevated manhole

02-06-2021 01:55 PM
HarithaVendra
New Contributor II

Elevated manholes can be defined as locations where pipes are always outgoing, there is no inflow. When you look at the pipes and how they connect (disregarding flow direction), it appears like these are loops in the sewer gravity networks. I was editing the Naperville sample data and created a pipe between 2 cul-de-sacs - which replicated an elevated manhole at one of the cul-de-sacs. When I trace downstream in utility network, it would select the entire loop instead of just selecting the downstream network. Please see figures below. I am wondering if there is a setting that needs to be changed, a rule that needs to be put in place, or a terminal needs to be set to prevent the entire loop to be selected? Please let me know.

HarithaVendra_0-1612648302490.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexKabak
Esri Contributor

Hi Haritha

In your scenario, a directional terminal configuration containing at least 2 downstream terminals should be set on the device connecting the pipes at the elevated manholes. One pipe would be assigned to one of the downstream terminals (ex. Outlet Port) and the other pipe would be assigned to the other downstream terminal (ex. Outlet Port 2).

I suggest not assigning the new directional terminal configuration to Pipe Connection > Pipe Connection (if this is the feature you are using to connect pipes at manholes). This will require you to set terminals at every manhole. Instead, create a new Pipe Connection asset type (ex. Elevated Manhole Connection) and assign the new directional terminal configuration to it.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any additional questions.