Utility Network Model Rename Model

473
4
Jump to solution
05-17-2021 12:11 AM
Maulingo
New Contributor II

Hi all. I have recently tried to apply an asset package to a newly created UNM. In the asset package I have created a rename table (Danish), but after having translated a lot of the desired fields to be renamed, I get the "must be Unicode or xml" error. I have done quite a few iterations of adding more and more translations in the rename table, in order to figure out where I might be adding some unwanted characters. There seem to be no clear indication of where the error arises, except some information about what python line has the error, but I'm a bit hesitant of diving into the different scripts.

I don't know if I might be renaming something that is "system" dependent or what is happening.

PS. Having to rename inside ArcGIS Pro is tedious, and I was wondering if it is possible to export the table, rename it in Excel, and then reimport the table?

Rename ErrorRename Error

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoelSmith3
Esri Contributor

OK, I think I found the issue and also discovered that while Excel to Table does import the table, it doesn't get the field types, bypass field domain, or Text field lengths (255 instead of the necessary 1000).

I found this character, before the T in Trapez, when looking at the translated field in Excel, I didn't see it in Pro:
ErrorCharacter.png

Try finding and removing the invalid character in Excel, and copying and pasting "Trapez" into Pro in the same places in your D_Rename table.

Excel is a more user friendly place to make the adjustments but the import process loses some info along the way. An import to table, join with rename, then field calculation may work as long as your object IDs are the same between the two tables.

I hope that helps!
Joel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoelSmith3
Esri Contributor

Hi,

It is possible to edit the tables in excel and import them back into ArcGIS Pro. I was able to test exporting D_Rename using Table to Excel, Added a new rename column, entered some values and then imported on top of the existing table using the Excel to Table tool.

Would it be possible for you to post your exported Excel file? I have seen errors in the characters in different languages before.

0 Kudos
Maulingo
New Contributor II

Hi Joel. Thank you so much for replying. I'll attach the Excel file. If you have any tips on the checkmarks when exporting / importing it's very much appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
JoelSmith3
Esri Contributor

OK, I think I found the issue and also discovered that while Excel to Table does import the table, it doesn't get the field types, bypass field domain, or Text field lengths (255 instead of the necessary 1000).

I found this character, before the T in Trapez, when looking at the translated field in Excel, I didn't see it in Pro:
ErrorCharacter.png

Try finding and removing the invalid character in Excel, and copying and pasting "Trapez" into Pro in the same places in your D_Rename table.

Excel is a more user friendly place to make the adjustments but the import process loses some info along the way. An import to table, join with rename, then field calculation may work as long as your object IDs are the same between the two tables.

I hope that helps!
Joel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Maulingo
New Contributor II

Hi Joel. The weird sign in the "Trapez" (The same flaw was found both places I had made the translation). Now I'm to have a go at importing the table, and perhaps do as you suggested with join and such. As it is now, the imported table from excel seems to loose the field info (as you described). I am putting together a UNM with several different disciplines, and as a drainage engineer my translation skills will be lacking on the electric field. Having more knowledgeable discipline specific people doing the translation in "familiar" spreadsheet would be a giant plus.

If there is anything I can do, to repay you for taking your time to help out, do not hesitate to ask 🙂

0 Kudos