Sewer Line Cleaning

07-08-2014 09:52 AM
NickSeals
New Contributor

I am looking for some help in tracking our Sewer Line Cleaning History. I would like to be able to click on a line and see the last 10 (or so) cleaning events. I think this is possible but I don't know how to do it! All of my sewer layers are in one File Geodatabase and I am by no means a GIS expert. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

City of Rock Springs, WY

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

Hi Nick:  You could record cleaning information in a geodatabase table.  If you have ID's for your sewer lines, record the Line ID with your cleaning event.  Set up a relationship class in your geodatabase using your Sewer Line and the cleaning table, using the sewer line ID as the primary key in the relate.

Thanks,

Allison Kampbell

Carver County, MN   

NickSeals
New Contributor

Allison,

Thanks for your reply. That is how I thought it would/should be done and have tried it several times and cant seem to get it to work. I have several other actions like this that I would like to have available in GIS if I can get them to work. Can you explain the best way to relate a table so I can make sure I am doing it right?

Thanks

Nick Seals

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds like the problem you are having may be the issue of supporting a one to many relationship rather than a one to one relationship.

0 Kudos
RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III

I have this set up for manhole inspections, with one to many...it works great. Initially, we were just relating a table within the mxd. That worked fine, but that has to be set up for every mxd.

The relationship class that Allison is talking about is the best bet if you want the related tables to be viewed by everyone. Like she said, you have to have an ID field in both your feature class and the related table that match up. In our case, we have a GISID field that I have in both tables. When you set up the relationship class, it asks you which fields you want to base the relate on. Make sure that the field types are the same! I had some issues with that initially.

For more info on it, try this.... ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos