New to ArcGIS, Need a mentor

04-22-2020 08:41 AM
ThomasHolz
New Contributor II

I'm in search of a mentor that can help me work through setting up a water/sewer GIS system for a very small community owned utility system. Esri's water team is either too busy, or we're too small to be of interest, and admittedly we're not be large purchaser. We only represent 140 residence connections, using two wells, three small reservoirs, and an effluent only sewer system. I've taken enough online courses to understand creation of feature classes of pipes, connections, valves, etc. and print the maps we need. But I can't figure out for the life of me how to implement any of Esri Water Utility solutions. I'm pretty technically competent, but their system of explanation is just too dense to penetrate; you seem to need an already established system to get anywhere. I need to start from scratch, using a file geodatabase and we can't afford (probably don't need) a portal for the five or six people that would access the data one or two at a time at most. I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BethanyHall
New Contributor III

Thomas,

If you would like to contact me via e-mail at bhall1821@outlook.com as I work for a water utility and I'm learning the water/wastewater side of the GIS business. I may be able to help you set up with a file geodatabase and point you down the right path. There are a lot of options for small utilities to get started in mapping and serving the data for your utility.

Bethany Hall

Bethany Hall
GIS Ninja
JaredYost3
New Contributor III
0 Kudos