If you’re using the Attribute Assistant, we need your help!

02-23-2016 07:37 AM
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We’re doing some research into how the Attribute Assistant is being used. We’d like to see what rules you are using and how you configured your dynamic value table. 

This information will help us plan for the future. We want to know what are the most common rules.  We also want to see your gnarly and complicated rules to see how far the Attribute Assistant is being pushed.

So please share your dynamic value table along with any comments you have in this thread. We appreciate your help on this effort!

Thanks,

Mike

ArcGIS Solutions

PS: If you don’t know what the Attribute Assistant is (or aren’t sure if you are using it already) no worries.  You can learn more about Attribute Assistant on the ArcGIS Solution site here

Tags (1)
239 Replies
AdamDorn
New Contributor II

Attached is a table which contents all of the values from our current dynamic value tables.  It is very important to our business operations that the functionality of the Attribute Assistant be added to ArcGIS Pro.  That is one of the major reasons why we are not yet planning a migration to ArcGIS Pro.

JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

I'm planning on using the Attribute Assistant to simplify workflows.  ArcGIS's capacity for enforcing high-quality attribution and complex data relationships through relatively simple GUIs (while supporting extensive customization) is what continues to justify its costs at the municipal level.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Wanted to share a preview of the next release of the AA.  The next release will include 44 bug fixes and enhancements.  We still have work to validate and verify all the enhancements and fixes, but wanted to share in case you wanted to test it out. 

Download preview and review changes 

Thank you again for all your feedback!

BryanBloch
New Contributor

Hi,

I work in the gas utilities, we utilize AA as a tool in two ways: to auto fill spatial info and as a quality check.  We auto fill spatial fields like zip codes, city, state, company, and service territory info.  We use it as a quality check as well.  An example is we have a rule that for any new pipe installed it pulls off the pressure from the existing pipe it is connected too.  It helps verify our pipe is connected and makes sure the pressures are the same.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have read through the thread looking for a successful example of using the Set Measure AA. Following the instructions at the link All methods - Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions  For Set Measures, but have not been successful getting this rule to work. 

The work flow is to split a route line and recalculate the m-value in the TO_MILEPOINT and FROM_MILEPOINT. 

Table Name - OWNERSHIP

Field Name TO_MILEPOINT

Value Method - SET_MEASURES

Value Info <Null>

Not sure what I am missing, relatively new to to AA but have some Intersecting Feature and GenerateID working successfully.

Is there something in the write up that I am missing?

Any help would be most appreciative.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Hunter,

I reviewed the code.  The Set Measure will only set the M based on the length of the feature or by percentage.  It does not use the value of a field.  We will get the help updated.

We could add this enhancement if you would like though.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes Please on the enhancement, but maybe there is a suggestion for a better work around.

I researched using expressions in AA but while using a !Shape!.LastPoint.M can field calculate the new end M Point I have not figured out how to write that in vb script within the AA environment. I found this thread return M Value in Field Calculator  but I am not sure how or if one can use VB with a code block in AA. I have thus created points out of the M valued dataset vertices and created intersect rules to pick up m values when a road is split. The problem with this last experiment is the stacking of beginning and ending vertices and locations with no vertices, so it still leaves the editor to make adjustments. 

Is there any enhancement to use python in the expressions ?

or is there a way to use the equivalent of !Shape!.LastPoint.M in AA?

Is there any other alternative way to split a line with a From Milepoint of "0" to To Milepoint "1.357 and have the two records update their individual From and TO records?

MikeMillerGIS

The Expression is pure vbscript and does not have access to the shape methods, so this will not work.  We have no plans to move it to python.  

0 Kudos
SunnyF
by
New Contributor III

I'm just now diving into the possibilities of Attribute Assistant. I'm pretty psyched about the possibilities, but a little overwhelmed at how to begin. I think I have something very simple that I want to do - when I'm adding features from one feature class into another, I want to transfer a field name from the parent feature to a pre-existing field in the new feature. I don't want to do this with spatial join because I have a field I've already set up and don't want to just tack on additional fields. Does someone have a table for this or a tutorial? 

For that matter - are there good tutorials for attribute assistant? I didn't have luck looking for videos or basic google searches beyond the ESRI documentation. 

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I would start by downloading one of the Local Government editing map templates like the Water Utility Network Editing and Analysis template. You may not be editing a water utility but that template can really show you how the Attribute Assistant can work. It was actually an add-in created for that template.

What you are describing sounds like the Nearest Feature Attributes method.

The best way to figure it out is download a template like the one mentioned above and play around with the DynamicValue table and see what the results are. Be sure to turn on the log file and check it if things aren't working the way you think they should.

Here are a couple of lines I use in my address point layer:

This line grabs the house number from the HouseNum field of a polygon layer (parcels) named AddressingPointHouseNumbers and puts it in the ADDRNUM field of my SiteAddressPoint layer. The search distance is 5 feet. It's a pretty simple line in the table and saves me a bunch of time.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos