If you’re using the Attribute Assistant, we need your help!

02-23-2016 07:37 AM
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We’re doing some research into how the Attribute Assistant is being used. We’d like to see what rules you are using and how you configured your dynamic value table. 

This information will help us plan for the future. We want to know what are the most common rules.  We also want to see your gnarly and complicated rules to see how far the Attribute Assistant is being pushed.

So please share your dynamic value table along with any comments you have in this thread. We appreciate your help on this effort!

Thanks,

Mike

ArcGIS Solutions

PS: If you don’t know what the Attribute Assistant is (or aren’t sure if you are using it already) no worries.  You can learn more about Attribute Assistant on the ArcGIS Solution site here

Tags (1)
239 Replies
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

This may be a slightly off topic, but I think an auto-number, auto-increment or user-defined sequence field type should be available at the geodatabase level, not just at the application level or UI level (like Attribute Assistant). 

Here's a case: I programmatically insert some rows into a table that contains certified address certificates.  The ArcMap user selects address points, enters some more information into a form and then prints the certificate.  Before the print happens, I insert the certificate data into the certificate able using ArcObjects.  AA seems to be hooked into the ArcMap interface, so even though I had set up AA auto-number, it didn't populate the field.  So I worked around it by writing code to do just what AA does for autonumber: read the last number used in a setup table, add the next number to the target table and then increment the set up table by 1.  That's a considerable amount of coding and testing that could have been eliminated by an auto-number field.  Even the more 'lightweight' databases (Access, SQLite) have auto-number fields.

A third-party consultant once told us that ObjectID fields are not guaranteed to always be unique, especially in multi-editor environments, though duplicates are probably very, very rare.  (That was ~8 years ago, maybe that has changed).   But the problem with ObjectID's is that they'll likely get reset when a table or feature class is moved to a separate database (or copied within one database).  That can make it hard to migrate to new versions of ArcGIS, create backup and testing databases and do regular GDB maintenance.

I know a number of people who find AA very handy and there's probably going to be some AA use cases for me in the future.  But I think that auto-number should be available at the DB level.  If I have misunderstood anything about AA or GDB's, then please correct me.

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Did you ever look into GlobalIDs?

Add Global IDs—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
AZendel

I did.  I just didn't want to have "Certificate Number: ad58-ger6-s8ff-g265-87s56d" on our certificates.  Some day there may be a need to label a map with the unique numbers.   "10053" would look much better on a map. 

Also, this blog post says: "This should not be used for a Unique ID.  These values can change if you have to reload the data at some point or if you drop the Global ID field and re-add it. "  I don't really follow that or am having trouble interpreting it......

MikeMillerGIS

Great question.  You should be able to trigger the AA through ArcObject, but your edits need to be wrapped in an Edit Operation and an Edit Session.  Since the AA is just listening to edit events, anything that raises that event should work. 

AZendel

Good to know.  I'll look into that. 

But it'd still be nice if we could do the following when creating a table or feature class:

AA isn't too hard to set up, but the above is just so much more convenient.

Thanks. 

KalvanHone
New Contributor II

We also have a python script that uses a database (oracle) sequence to assign a unique id across all of our feature classes before posting edits.  It could be nice to point attribute assistant to the sequence file and be done.

0 Kudos
EricPieniak
New Contributor II

I have had the same thoughts - even the ObjectID scenario.  I think A Zendel is right on target.  Too often we go to a fix that isn't at the core.  Custom Facility ID is a good example, as it will need to be developed in multiple places if customer wants to use editing maps and apps.

Don't get me wrong, though. this tool is awesome in your edit environment.  Particularly, for us in Utilities who don't so much want customer editing in a web app because of the data documentation that comes in the construction arena.

MM, ours isn't ready to share.

0 Kudos
ThomasBaxter
New Contributor II

Mike - I've attached ours, its a work in progress (it will expand over the next few weeks as we bring more datasets online into our new editing environment)

I may have a few more suggestions a little bit later, but one that I have now - would it be possible to create a method to connect or disconnect a feature from a geometric network based on an attribute change? (Disconnecting would be good when we set a feature to be 'archived')

Im sure there are other annoyances/idiosyncrasies that i've found, i'll see if i can find the list

Thomas

0 Kudos
ThomasBaxter
New Contributor II

One thing I struggled with to get right was the FROM/TO methods when dealing with directional geometric networks, I ended up having to draw a diagram that lived on the bottom of my monitor for a little while so I could refer to it (if only I could find it now...)

It may be useful to have some diagrams for some of the more complex methods

MikeMillerGIS
0 Kudos