Create a variable buffer on either side of a line feature class.

06-15-2020 04:34 PM
Labels (1)
LisaSievers
New Contributor

I am attempting to put a feature class together that will be used to map easements along our pipelines.  I intend to use a line feature class that can be used as the center line for creating a buffer off of, since not all of the easements are actually based off of the pipeline itself.  The problem is that some stretches of the easements state that they are 50 feet to the east of the center line and 20 feet to west of said center line.  I know there's a way to set buffer distance perimeters based on attribute fields and that they can be either to the left or right of the line, but can you set it as having a set distance to the left and then a different distance to the right?  Thanks, Lisa

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Buffer—Help | Documentation 

The steps would require you to separate your segments into those that have an equal buffer on both sides then those that have differential side buffers.

Buffer the left using the value from one field and buffer the right using another field is one option.

Then you can merge the files together.

The above steps would require select by attributes to do the separation of the parts.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LisaSievers
New Contributor

Thanks Dan, I should be able to do that easily enough.  Lisa

0 Kudos