CAD style Leadlines and Reference lines implementation for Water distribution and District heating companies

05-27-2022 06:18 AM
Labels (2)
JuhaHaanpera
Esri Contributor

Hello hello,

We have a few customer projects underway, where we are moving from the customer's old, grandfather's CAD-based water and sewer distribution, and district heating network information systems to a better and modern Esri's Utility solution. Do you want to share ideas on how to implement leadline and reference lines from familiar in CAD-based systems to pumps, valves, and other network devices in an ArcGIS environment? The same visualization needs to be repeated in all water and District energy utility customers, where we roll over from the CAD system to ArcGIS Enterprise Utility Network as well as Online-based Water Data management solutions.

I wonder if it would make the most sense to start implementing visualization of reference lines with attribute rules by selecting valves, pumps, and others, then drawing the leadline on the map and saving it as geometry at the same time? Visualization of reference lines would probably make the most sense with Arcade. Did you catch the idea and what other ways could we try?

Here is an example of a CAD browser-based as well as a desktop application where reference lines are automatically drawn on a map of various network components such as pumps, valves, and closures.

CAD based reference and leadlines.jpgCAD referense and leadlines.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoelSmith3
Esri Contributor

Hi Juha,

I'll be watching this space too to see if anyone else has this question or has an elegant method of representing this information in ArcGIS Online. As of now publishing annotation is only supported in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 and newer. It is possible to publish annotation to ArcGIS Online as a tile service but the usability is somewhat limited.

In my experience the better long term solution is much like you've suggested using creative popup configurations to provide the same level of information in an acceptable user experience is time better spent than trying to represent the CAD data in ArcGIS Online as it has been viewed in the legacy systems.

Thanks,
Joel

0 Kudos