Attribute Assistant Triggers?

10-24-2017 05:40 AM
deleted-user-pZlUMHhkW23Q
New Contributor III

Attribute Assistant Problem

I have the following:

O===X===

Hydrant (O) > Hydrant Lead 1 (===) > Hydrant Valve (X) > Hydrant Lead 2 (===)

All of these 4 features share an AssociatedID which is the Hydrant Number.

And the two Lead sections and the value share a diameter value.

If I edit "Hydrant Lead 1" and change the AssociatedID it will update the Hydrant and the Valve but not Hydrant Lead 2.

I've tried all sorts of Triggers, Intersecting Features etc and I can't get it to trigger the update on Hydrant Lead 2, has anyone been able to get something like this to work? If so how did you do it? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Super late response, but I just saw this post.  

If update intersecting feature does not work, we could look at exposing an search tolerance to ensure service line 1 finds service line 2.  

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Or the ability to cascade or chain rules would be awesome in general and really expand the power of AA. For the example above the cascade would look like:

• Rule1: If Hydrant ID changes, updated intersecting Lead ID
  • Cascade Rule Triggered: If Lead ID updated, update intersecting Valve ID
  • Cascade Rule Triggered: If Valve ID updated, update intersecting Lead (You have to handle the one we just came from, to not have an inf. loop of updating here)

I was able to solve the problem using python but doing it with AA would be great

MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We do sort of support chaining.  For Instance Update Intersecting feature does.  If you change the lateral, and use this rule, it could update the valve.  That change to the valve is logged internally into a change feature list.  Once all the rules are processed on the lateral, the valve is process, which could call update intersecting feature, which could update the laterals, which could also call update intersecting feature, which would update the valve, and keep going till infinitely.  We do have logic to prevent this, but it is not ideal.  Not all rules honor this chaining, but some do.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

It's been awhile but I feel like I tried this and I could not get the trigger to go all the way down the feature from Hydrant > down to the second lead. I'll have to try again.

Could it be possible to flag/document on the AA Methods page what methods support chaining, or does this documentation exist already somewhere? 

0 Kudos