When I run DEM reconditioning, some cells are ending up as NoData.

3465
3
03-19-2015 06:53 AM
Labels (1)
KirstenHazler
New Contributor III

I first leveled the water bodies, with no apparent problem.  But when I subsequently ran DEM reconditioning, some cells are ending up as NoData.  Why?  This is a big problem.  Any way to get the source code for the process so I can look it over and recode as needed?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KirstenHazler
New Contributor III

Update:  I have figured out that anywhere the input DEM is exactly 0, the reconditioning process returns NoData.  Clearly something is wrong with the algorithm.

0 Kudos
BenjaminJackson
New Contributor

Hi,

I also encountered this problem and I too noticed that it only changed values of 0 to nodata. So I used a workaround that you might find useful: I ran raster calculator on my DEM and added 0.0000001 to all cells in the raster, this in effect removes 0s whilst effectively retaining them. Then I ran reconditioning on the result successfully.

In effect what I actually achieved was simply to convert the raster, since the precision required to add 0.0000001 is not available. I was using an Integer DEM and the resulting layer is Double precision 64bit. So I would suggest trying to convert the raster first and if that does not work, apply raster calculator with a very small number. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

0 Kudos
KirstenHazler
New Contributor III

Glad to know it's not just me having the issue.  I have since abandoned the DEM Reconditioning tool and wrote my own algorithm in Python, which runs a modified AGREE procedure.  If anyone wants it, feel free to contact me.

0 Kudos