unable to recondition or burn stream into raster

01-30-2013 07:47 AM
Labels (1)
WilliamWoodard
New Contributor
I'm using ArcHydro on some very flat land.  I've gone through the process to get basic stream lines, though not very detailed.  I want to go back to the original raster and imprint the stream lines into it and run the process again in order to get more detailed stream lines.  Both the DEM Reconditioning and the Burn Stream Slope require a vector for Input Stream, but the lines must have elevation for the tools to work.  In my process the only vector streams I have have NO elevation.  I'm unsure how to get this to work.

My Process = Fill Sinks, Flow Direction, Flow Accumulation, Stream Definition, Stream Segmentation, Drainage Line Processing, Catchment Grid Definition, Catchment Polygon Processing, and Drainage Point Processing.  I'm trying to go through Drainage Line Processing, and then start at the beginning with it to go through the entire process.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
William,

I have been using Arc Hydro for a while and have taken two courses from ESRI on Arc Hydro. No one has ever said the agreestream layer had to have elevations. I have never needed to assign or burn in the slopes. When you burn in a stream using Dem Reconditioning, it simply results in a DEM that has lowered elevation where the streams are. When you process the DEM further, and get to the flow direction grid, then from there on in the process the elevations do not come into play.

If you need to force an existing flow direction grid to change, you can modify it with polylines that have "direction". This direction is based on the from and to points of the polyline. This would be done via at the Flow Direction with Streams function. If you really want to assign or burn the stream slope in for some reason you could use the "Assign" or "Burn Stream Slope" functions under Terrain Processing>Dem Manipulation>. I've never had to use them. They might require elevations in the your polylines.

In general, I don't think of wanting a topographically (elevation) correct DEM. I think of wanting a hydrologically (flow direction) correct DEM.

The menu order follows the order you should follow (top to bottom).
Here is the process I follow for dendritic stream systems.

Terrain Processing>Dem Manipulation>

• Dem Reconditioning - This burns in the streams

• Build Walls - use streams for breach (if you have flat landscape you may need to do this in areas where man-made drainage overrides what happens on the surface)

• Fill Sinks

Terrain Processing> (order of some items is can be different than below. See image of the Basic Dendritic Terrain Processing Model. You can see from it which datasets are dependent on which thus dictating order of processes.)

• Flow Direction

• Flow Accumulation

• Stream Definition

• Stream Segmentation

• Catchment Grid Definition

• Catchment Polygon Processing

• Drainage Line Processing

• Adjoint Catchment Processing

• Drainage Point Processing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21221[/ATTACH]

I've been collecting Arc Hydro tips at http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48100-ArcHydro-Problem-Solvers.
0 Kudos
WilliamWoodard
New Contributor
I guess I'm confusing the the Burn Stream and DEM Reconditioning tool.  When I use the DEM Reconditioning tool it errors:

ERROR 010024: Error during conversion.
Failed to execute (DEM Reconditioning).

When I try to run the Burn Stream tool it also errors:

FromElev does not exist for Stream!
ToElev does not exist for Stream!
Failed to execute (Burn Stream Slope).

I assumed this last error meant I had to have elevation on my stream lines.  Do either of these errors mean anything to anyone?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
The error during conversion is explained here http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00vq00000002010024.htm

Try putting the agreestream layer in a geodatabase. Most layers are more "stable" in a geodatabase. This issue has been discussed before: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/68360-Error-in-DEM-Reconditioning-in-Arc-hydro-10.  Putting the agreestream layer in the geodatabase gives each feature an OBJECTID which, I gather, is needed for the process to work.

Other measures off the top of my head: Make sure the names of all data files do not have spaces. If you must have some kind of space then use the "_" character. Long names and names with spaces are things I stay away from. Make sure the geographic projections of all data are defined and are the same.

Let me know if any of this helps.
0 Kudos
WilliamWoodard
New Contributor
I checked it all out, and my agreestream is in my geodatabase, the names are under 8 characters with no spaces, and all projections are the same.

Is it possible there is something wrong with the raster I'm using?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
If you send the raster to me, I'll try to process it. Possibly you could create a zip file and then attach it to a post.
0 Kudos
WilliamWoodard
New Contributor
I have been unable to upload my raster in a compressed zip file.  Could I send it to you though e-mail?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
William,
I'd like to sent you my email address via the forum's Private Messaging system, but it doesn't look like your's is turned on. Sign in to the forum site and go to http://forums.arcgis.com/profile.php?do=editoptions. Search for private messaging and enable it.
Then you should be able to click on my name on one of my posts to send me a message. If you get that far and I receive a msg, I'll reply with my email address.
Thanks.
Mark
0 Kudos
D_D_
by
New Contributor II
wbw, you should create a new Windows User (as administrator) and name should be written with the Latin letters (not a cyrillic).
0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
The Burn Stream Slope function was introduced to enforce the flow direction once the water reaches the stream, to deal with cases where the elevation in the stream (after burning) goes the wrong way. This function modified the elevation so that it decreases along the digitized direction of the streams. The Assign Stream Slope function had to be run first to populate the required elevation fields.

These 2 functions have been replaced by the Create Drainage Line Structures/Adjust Flow Direction in Streams function. The first one creates the Stream Flow Direction Grid enforcing the flow direction in the streams and the second one imposes this Stream Flow Direction Grid onto the Flow Direction Grid to create the Stream Adjusted Flow Direction Grid.

Christine Dartiguenave
Esri Water Resources Team
0 Kudos