This surely has been done before, so I just need to be directed to a forum thread or help topic area.
I have a functional surface (2m or 10m DEMs) which represents channel bathymetry (in the California Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta), and streamlines which represent the best centerline down each channel.
What I'd like to do is generate editable cross-sections at user-selected places on the streamlines. That is,
I'm able to draw a cross-section profile using Interpolate Line -> Profile Graph within 3D Analyst. But the profile graph is not readily editable, nor does it look like it can be saved as data. So I'm looking for a hint as to where I can get the added editing capability listed above.
- User clicks a point somewhat away from a streamline and moves the mouse; ArcMap draws a cross-section line perpendicular to the streamline.
- User double-clicks or right-clicks to finish the cross-section line.
- ArcMap draws a channel cross-section profile: the elevation of the bathymetry along the cross-section line.
- User edits the generated cross-section profile. Somewhere here the user selects vertices to define a simplified cross-section profile for further use in a 1D numerical surface flow model.
- User clicks a button to finish editing.
- After all cross-sections are done the simplified cross-section profiles are saved to a text file for use in the 1D model.