Need to make channel cross-sections

09-25-2012 01:50 PM
RalphFinch
New Contributor III
This surely has been done before, so I just need to be directed to a forum thread or help topic area.

I have a functional surface (2m or 10m DEMs) which represents channel bathymetry (in the California Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta), and streamlines which represent the best centerline down each channel.

What I'd like to do is generate editable cross-sections at user-selected places on the streamlines. That is,

1. User clicks a point somewhat away from a streamline and moves the mouse; ArcMap draws a cross-section line perpendicular to the streamline.

2. User double-clicks or right-clicks to finish the cross-section line.

3. ArcMap draws a channel cross-section profile: the elevation of the bathymetry along the cross-section line.

4. User edits the generated cross-section profile. Somewhere here the user selects vertices to define a simplified cross-section profile for further use in a 1D numerical surface flow model.

5. User clicks a button to finish editing.

6. After all cross-sections are done the simplified cross-section profiles are saved to a text file for use in the 1D model.

I'm able to draw a cross-section profile using Interpolate Line -> Profile Graph within 3D Analyst. But the profile graph is not readily editable, nor does it look like it can be saved as data. So I'm looking for a hint as to where I can get the added editing capability listed above.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TroySpjute1
New Contributor II
This surely has been done before, so I just need to be directed to a forum thread or help topic area.

I have a functional surface (2m or 10m DEMs) which represents channel bathymetry (in the California Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta), and streamlines which represent the best centerline down each channel.

What I'd like to do is generate editable cross-sections at user-selected places on the streamlines. That is,

1. User clicks a point somewhat away from a streamline and moves the mouse; ArcMap draws a cross-section line perpendicular to the streamline.

2. User double-clicks or right-clicks to finish the cross-section line.

3. ArcMap draws a channel cross-section profile: the elevation of the bathymetry along the cross-section line.

4. User edits the generated cross-section profile. Somewhere here the user selects vertices to define a simplified cross-section profile for further use in a 1D numerical surface flow model.

5. User clicks a button to finish editing.

6. After all cross-sections are done the simplified cross-section profiles are saved to a text file for use in the 1D model.

I'm able to draw a cross-section profile using Interpolate Line -> Profile Graph within 3D Analyst. But the profile graph is not readily editable, nor does it look like it can be saved as data. So I'm looking for a hint as to where I can get the added editing capability listed above.

The cross section editing functionality is built into HEC-RAS.  If you use the HEC GeoRAS extension you can easily export cross sections and other data for use in HEC-RAS, which also does the 1D modeling that you mentioned.

You can get information and download the extension (which is free) here:
http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-ras/hec-georas.html
0 Kudos
MohamedJalloh1
New Contributor
Hi Ralph

I am working on something similar.However I have limited scripting knowledge can you please send me the script you have so far.

Thanks

Mohamed
0 Kudos
DingaanJulyMahlangu
New Contributor

1 (sdsc.edu)

Visit this site it is very handy and help

0 Kudos
DingaanJulyMahlangu
New Contributor
0 Kudos