LiDAR Terrain: Burninng Streams and Building Walls

06-15-2014 04:16 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
I've found numerous articles that speak about "Burning Streams" and "Building Walls" as part of reconditioning a DTM, epsecially within an Urban Environment. What I've not found is a best practices document that explains how to implement the follwowing within an Urban Environment.

My study area has gentle slopes and has man made structures (Bridges and Culverts) within it. I've attached a print screen of a section of my study area that I'm working within. The section displays a road section that has multiple culverts along the road section to ensure the overland flows doesn't go over the road. I've burned streams (culverts) along the roads where the culverts are located to get Arc Hydro to generate the drainage lines at the following locations, but the drainage lines are still crossing the road surface. I'm not familiar in using the "Burn Stream" in combination with "Build Walls" to ensure the flow goes through the culverts and not over the road section.

If anyone that is familiar with the following workflow especially within an Urban Environment, I'd greatly appreciate your advice and assistance. I'm looking for a workflow in being able to generate a hydrologically correct DTM from my LiDAR Terrain for use within Arc Hydro.

Regards
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

I started the thread below my signature (The new format leaves off the signature. Search for "Arc Hydro Problem Solvers"). You might find more helpful hints there. You can go there and then search the page for key words such as walls, breach, etc.

If I were you I'd use a polylilne layer for the walls and add one on the road (or copy the polyline for the road to the innerwalls layer). Then in the build walls function use the culvert polylines (agreestream) as the "breach lines". In the buildwalls process, the dem is raised along the polyline and will "breach" the wall at the breach lines. This will force the flows to cross the road at the cuverts. I've done this on railroad tracks that the dem can't "see" because it is course and the area is flat.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos