HecGeoRAS - stream centerline topology - error node outside terrain

05-31-2012 11:33 AM
elsasonia
New Contributor
Hello,

I am working with ArcMap10 and HecGeoRas10.

I had a terrain model in .dem, and I converted it in TIN with 3D Analyst Tools / Conversion / From Raster / Raster to TIN.
Then I created the River layer, and I digitized my river.

But when I try to do RAS Geometry / Stream Centerline attributes / topology, I have the error message "River node lies outside the terrain".

I tried a tutorial, and with those file everything works, but as soon as I use my TIN it doesn't work anymore.

I saw someone else posted a similar problemhttp://forums.arcgis.com/threads/46417-Hec-Geo-Ras-River-Node-Lies-Outisde-the-Terrain?highlight=riv...

So I tried what was written:
- My nodes don't seem outside of the TIN. To be sure I even tried with only 1 river made of 2 points in the middle of my TIN, but still the same error message
- I checked the spatial references, and they seem the same: both GCS_North_Amercian_1983
- I also tried to cut my River layer to be sure it doesnt go out of the TIN, by creating a polygone shapefile rectangular a little bit smaller than the TIN, and doing Analysis Tool / Extract / Clip. But event using this new River file it still doesnt work.

So what I think is:
- Maybe I did something wrong when I converted my dem into tin? is there any trick?
- when I check the TIN Properties, in Source I see the Geographic Coordinate System, but no projections as in the TIN of the tutorial. Is it normal or is there something wrong? Can my error come from there?

Or does anybody have an idea of why I have this message and how to fix it?

Thank yo very much if you could help me
Elsa
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
israello
New Contributor
Hi everyone im having problems when im trying to generate XScutlines in my river model.  The program shows me the next message: 

Downsream reach lenghts:
Error! More than 1 intersection point between polylines

River OID=4
XS Line OID=5

Does anyone can help me to solve this? Thank you
0 Kudos
GigiBaggarley
New Contributor

Hello! Did you ever solve this problem? I am having the same issue but do not see where there is an error. My cross sections do not overlap my river twice.

0 Kudos
MattMead
New Contributor III
Its saying your River file has a line that crosses a cross section more than once.  In looking at your screenshot though I dont see where that is.  Is it possible that you accidentally copied a cross section into your River file or the other way around?  It gives you the ID numbers that are causing the issue so if that is not the case I would recommend just creating a new mxd and georas files then just copy your original data in.
0 Kudos