Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

Jump to solution
03-10-2014 02:35 AM
LeonoreBehr
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm new to Archydro and have installed Archydro in ArcMap 10.1. Everytime I try to run one of the applications like calculating slope or flowdirection out of my .grd or .tif the Error  "HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component" (or in my case in German: "Beim Aufruf einer COM-Komponente wurde ein HRESULT E_FAIL-Fehler zurückgegeben.") appears.
I have a huge DEM to work with and wanted to calculate the Catchment area.

Does anyone know what the cuase of this error could be? I already shortened the workpath and the filename but this didn't help.

Thanks in advance!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Welcome to the forum.

This is a common error that I encounter when working with data over the network. If you have your data on the network, copy the data on your local C: drive, start a new mxd. The data that needs to be on the C: drive is minimal.** The other layers can remain on the network. See if that will stop the error from occurring. You will also find the processing goes much faster. When you are done, you can copy the project directory back to the network for "safe keeping". Changing the mxd properties (File>Map Document Properties) to "store relative pathnames to data sources", allows you to copy your project directories from the C: drive to a network drive after you are done.

The thread in a forum "sticky" is a link in my signature. This has several tips for running Arc Hydro including what I mentioned above.

(Sorry, no German translation here. This may help if you  need it: http://translate.google.com/#en/de/).

**Actually, I'm not sure if any of the basic data (rawdem, agreestream,  innerwalls, outerwalls, etc.) need to be on the C: drive. I put them there to  keep the project intact for when I move the data back to the network  (for long-term storage and network backup).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MarkBoucher
Welcome to the forum.

This is a common error that I encounter when working with data over the network. If you have your data on the network, copy the data on your local C: drive, start a new mxd. The data that needs to be on the C: drive is minimal.** The other layers can remain on the network. See if that will stop the error from occurring. You will also find the processing goes much faster. When you are done, you can copy the project directory back to the network for "safe keeping". Changing the mxd properties (File>Map Document Properties) to "store relative pathnames to data sources", allows you to copy your project directories from the C: drive to a network drive after you are done.

The thread in a forum "sticky" is a link in my signature. This has several tips for running Arc Hydro including what I mentioned above.

(Sorry, no German translation here. This may help if you  need it: http://translate.google.com/#en/de/).

**Actually, I'm not sure if any of the basic data (rawdem, agreestream,  innerwalls, outerwalls, etc.) need to be on the C: drive. I put them there to  keep the project intact for when I move the data back to the network  (for long-term storage and network backup).
0 Kudos
LeonoreBehr
New Contributor
Hello Mark,

Thanks a lot! Actually this was the whole problem. And thank you, too, for the link to the 'tip thread' - think it will help solving some problems in my project occuring in the future. (But I think I will skip the google translator - it does other mistakes than I do, but just as much 🙂 )

Leonore
0 Kudos
KevinJenkins2
New Contributor
Another reason you may receive this message is if your feature class contains too many fields.  I was comparing points to lines using valency check in Data Reviewer and checked "Select All" in "Fields to Include for Feature Class 2".  When I instead kept only the few fields I really needed, it worked just fine.  Good luck

Kevin Jenkins
RajendraVaradaraju
New Contributor

Install Visual Studio 2010 SP1 it resolve the issue

0 Kudos
bassim_shama
New Contributor

See this video may help you in your problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK34C7QScRU&feature=youtu.be

0 Kudos
JonathanMcGlade
New Contributor II

It looks like that video is no longer available. Can you perhaps offer some guidance on what it was about? I am having this issue and none of the solutions above have worked for me.

0 Kudos
BeatriceO_Hara
New Contributor

Jonathan, did you ever find the solution?  I am encountering the same issue.  Tried moving all data to C drive but still get the same error message: Error HRESLT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a om Component

Using ArcMap 10.3.1 and ArcHydro, error is occurring at Catchment Grid Delineation step

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

My web search revealed little on this error.

It is basically the program "crying like a baby" and you have to guess what's wrong.

I think (and I could be wrong) the routine can't find any data to work with and says "Huh?" Then translates that into "HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component".  If the processing extents don't coincide with the data, then this is what happens. This could be why things don't work well over the network (the link to the data gets scrambled). But then again, this is just my guess...

Check to see that your processing extent covers your data. Check/Set this in the menu "Geoprocessing>Environments>Processing Extent". On occasion, I've found that this fixes the problem. 

0 Kudos
BeatriceO_Hara
New Contributor

LOL! “crying like a baby”. Tried your suggestions on processing extent but received the same error. ☹

However, I did get a good laugh thinking of my system crying like a baby.

0 Kudos