DEM Reconditioning tool produces error 010316

11-14-2013 11:01 AM
DavidSinton
New Contributor II
I am attempting to use Arc Hydro to produce subwatersheds and can't get past the DEM Reconditioning step. When I run it I get this error statement:[INDENT]
Making buffer constant grid ..
Making smooth constant grid ..
Making sharp constant grid ..
Computing smooth drop/raise grid ..
ERROR 010316: Unable to open the input raster: C:\USERS\DSINTON\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\9\ARCC13E\AH2013~1\G_G963
ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression.
Failed to execute (DEMReconditioning).

[/INDENT]

I have full read / write access to that temp directory and every directory along the way. The above error is produced when I use the Arc Hydro toolbox but it still fails if I run DEM Reconditioning from the toolbar.

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 thru a Citrix XenApp interface. Arc Hydro 10.1 (April 29, 2013) is installed. Interestingly, when I look in that temp directory there are no grids by that name (G_G963) but there are files with that name. Could this suggest that Arc Hydro attempted to build temporary grids but failed?

What am I doing wrong?

David Sinton
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Some thoughts...
Errors like this can happen if you are processing the data over a network. Try processing it on your local drive if you are not already. Make sure you save your project before processing! If not, Arc Hydro can't do certain things. Make sure the geoprocessing domain covers all of your data. Geoprocessing>Environments>Processing Extent.

You can visit the link under my signature to find solutions to common Arc Hydro problems. Thread #18 has a checklist that can help your avoid problems. (http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48100-ArcHydro-Problem-Solvers?p=270146&viewfull=1#post270146)
0 Kudos
DavidSinton
New Contributor II
Thanks Mark. Before my original post I saw your excellent post on potential Arc Hydro problems and worked through that list. But none of them worked and I still got the same error.

Actually, with Citrix ArcMap doesn't have to reach across the net to access my data; I reach across the net to access my ArcMap instance. Normally it works quite well.

Although I do have ArcGIS and Arc Hydro installed on my local machine I would like to do this project in our enterprise GIS through Citrix. I don't want to have to move the data locally which would take time. Also, I fought the good fight to have Arc Hydro installed in Citrix and if I can't get it to work I'll have to have it uninstalled.

If you have any other ideas I'd sure like to hear them.

cheers,

ds
0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
David,

You may want to try the latest version of Arc Hydro. We have upgraded the code for that function to deal with some data related issues (size, etc.) and maybe this will fix your issue as well.

Christine Dartiguenave
Esri Wate Resources Team
0 Kudos
ScottBurton
New Contributor II

David,

Did you ever figure out what was the issue? It seems as if I'm having a similar issue, I've been troubleshooting for a good 3 hours now and can't get past Reconditioning, and have the same error as you.

Mark - I've been through your troubleshooting and none of it has helped thus far,

Christine - I do have the latest version.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

This is a wild guess...

Make sure your raster names are not to long. Sometimes (but not all the time) there is a limit of 8 characters. When I see a tilda "~" in a name, it makes me think that maybe the program is shortening the name someplace. Then, when it tries to call it up, that file isn't there under that name.

If its is not the file name, maybe the directory name has a character in it that might be recognized by the operating system, but not the program. I don't typically use spaces, dashes, and other special characters (@  $ & ^ > ~ etc.) in my directory or file names. Underscores are OK (_)

0 Kudos
DanWismer
New Contributor II

Hey Everyone,

I had the same issue. What I did was exported my DEM which was in a '.tiff' format into an ESRI GRID. Then I ran the DEM Reconditioning tool on my Local 'C:' drive. This fixed the error 010316 Error on my end.

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

One other thing that may help (and the files are related to DEM Reconditioning...)

Put the agreestream layer  (and inner and outer walls) in a geodatabase. When I started using this practice, things seemed to run solid for me.

At the time I had "heard rumor" that regular shape files were "less stable" than geodatabases, so, I gave it a try and it seemed to help.

0 Kudos