Connection matrices for points along stream network

11-28-2020 04:48 PM
Labels (2)
GregGoodrum
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm working with a polyline stream network (National Hydrography Dataset/NHD) and points (barriers) along stream network. I'm trying to generate two outputs;

1. A path-distance matrix showing the shortest-path distance between a one point (barrier) and all other points (barriers) in the network. The output should look like the following

BarrierABCD
A0101520
B100510
C15505
D201050

where A:D are points (barriers), and numbers in the cells are total stream segment lengths between them.

2. A binary matrix for each path that shows which barriers lie along the path. The output should look like the following

SourceDestinationABCD
AB1100
AC1110
AD1111

where Source is the starting point (barrier), Destination is the ending point (barrier), and numbers in the cells indicate where the point identified on the column lies on the path (1 = true, 0 = false).

Is anyone familiar with this type of network/path analysis and knows a workflow that can calculate these outputs using ArcHydro or other tools? I've been working in ArcGIS Pro, but have access to ArcMap 10.6 as well. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

The first question is easily solved (I think) using the OD Cost Matrix tool Generate Origin Destination Cost Matrix (Ready To Use)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I'm not up-to-date on Pro Network Analysis so there may be a much easier/better way for the second question.  In theory you could iterate over each combination of origin and source to produce a route, then collect the traversed barriers from each route using

Copy Traversed Source Features (Network Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I'm using network analyst as a solution only because I can't comment on the hydro toolset, I'd hope there's a better built-in way someone can point you to though.

0 Kudos