Checking and enforcing dowstream Z constraint for synthetic streams

02-02-2018 07:46 AM
Labels (1)
RicardoLopez-Torrijos1
New Contributor

Assume I've delineated planar (X, Y) stream breaklines to use them for enforcement of bare ground DEM derivation from high density lidar data (about 1 ground point per square meter or greater). To convert them into 3D breaklines I use a conflation process (InterpolateShape) to populate the Z from the same lidar. Before using them for hydro enforcement in DEM derivation, one needs to see that the vertex elevations decrease monotonically in the downstream direction -due to ground vegetation noise and/or leftover structures in the lidar this is not always the case. Does anybody know of a tool/code to:

• Check for downstream elevation monotonic decrease? The tool would detect and tag (by feature ID and measure?), polyline segments where the stream deviates from strict downstream gradient. An illustration:

• Enforce the downstream Z monotonicity when errors are found? After enforcement the stream above would look something like:

It seems the functionality exists in the Defense Mapping + Production Mapping extensions (see http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/defense-mapping/correcting-monotonicity-errors...), but these are of restricted distribution.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RicardoLopez-Torrijos1
New Contributor

The functionality I describe exist in... Arc Hydro! There are actually two tools, Toolbox > Arc Hydro Tools > Watershed Processing > Smooth 3D Line: "Smooths 3D lines linearly in the digitized direction."

Another, applies the downstream constraint to a dendritic network, with a check that the constraint is kept at stream junctions. It is Toolbox > Arc Hydro Tools Python > Watershed Processing > Line Processing > Make 3D Line System > Make 3D Line System: "Construct a 3D line from input 2D line by getting the Z value from the input DEM, and M value from the distance between the vertice and vertice[0].'. Activate the Z smoothing parameter to apply the constraint.

Thanks to Dean Djokic for the pointer, and to the AWRA GIS in Water Resources conference for having brought us together.