ArcMap- catalog- can't delete a feature class

02-17-2018 08:12 PM
TimAnderson5
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.4.1. I have a gdb on a folder located on a network attached storage device (NAS). If I right click on a feature class to delete it, "delete "and "rename" are grayed out. New feature classes can be created in the gdb but cannot be deleted (or renamed), including feature classes that have no features within them. This also goes for anything in the gdb including rasters, although rasters can be renamed but not deleted.

I don't experience this with gdb's on my computer hard drive. Is this problem happening because the gdb is on a network folder?  If so, how can one work with gdb's on network folders? Below is a screenshot of the catalog view.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You lack permissions on the network drive I suspect. Have you discussed this with the people that manage the network and how your data are managed and accessed?

TimAnderson5
New Contributor II

I am the one who set up the network. I am not aware of the need for or how to set up permissions for the network drive. I have accessed and edited other file types (ms office files for example) on the network without any issues. Is this something unique to ArcGIS files?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you create the geodatabase as well? since permissions can originate from there

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/geodatabases/overview/create-modify-and-delete-versions.h...

I don't work in a shared environment, so I 'own' everything.  You might want to examine whether the combination is the issue since you indicate that working locally is no problem.

TimAnderson5
New Contributor II

I believe I figured out the reason for delete and rename (for feature classes) being grayed out, which was that I had an editing session open and had forgotten to stop the editing session.

However, now I am finding that I cannot add feature classes or rasters to the geodatabase using Spatial Analyst tools (Extract by mask or Contours). I can add rasters or shape files to the folder located on the network drive but not to the gdb within that folder; I do get error messages related to permissions. It appears to be an issue limited to Spatial Analyst tools creating features or rasters onto the gdb located on a network folder. If I use Spatial Analyst Contour tools to create contours from a raster DEM with the destination into the gdb in the network folder, there are no error messages but it creates an empty polygon feature class with a table type symbol in the gdb; but I can create a contour feature class with the Spatial Analyst tools onto a gdb on my computer hard drive. 

I created the geodatabase on the network folder by simply right clicking on the folder to create a new gdb. I am not using an enterprise version so I don't have a Version Manager view. I can use the Spatial Analyst tools to create feature classes within gdb's on folders that are on my computer hard drive; but I cannot copy those feature classes onto the gdb located on the network folder. I read something about the need to load MS SQL Express but that is getting more complicated than I had hoped it would need to be. I didn't realize that working from an NAS should cause such complications. I am not sure of a work around to work on the hard drive but save it onto the network drive, which gets backed up for crash security reasons. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As indicated, I don't work in a networked environment, but I do follow a backup protocol... (portable drives, One Drive etc, etc)

Perhaps working locally, backing up locally then copying to your network drive would simplify your workflow in the interim.

0 Kudos
TimAnderson5
New Contributor II

I will have to develop a workflow like you suggest with work on the local drive but some sort of safety back on the NAS. I have a cloud back up of the NAS but also the ability to cloud-back-up selective local folders, which should also accomplish my goals. I do appreciate your input on the matter.

On another matter, for which I may post another question, I am doing slope analysis for regulatory compliance and wasn't sure of your knowledge of the spatial analyst (SA) tools for slope mapping. The regulations in my jurisdiction assign protective requirements for steep slopes (15-25% are considered precautionary and >25% are considered prohibitive). However, these slopes are based on averaging over a minimum 50 foot horizontal distances. So if there are slopes that average in excess of 25% but for only a distance of less than 50 horizontal feet, then they are not considered regulated prohibitive slopes (i.e. a short run of a steep sloped bank only say 30 feet long is not regulated as steep slope). The slope analysis in the SA tools maps slopes based on cell values that are, of course, very close together not averaging over specified distances. Are you aware of a way to map slopes based on the regulations that I described? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it comes up all the time... even recently

https://community.esri.com/message/747610-topography-slope-rise-and-run-limits

but unless you are trying to calculate the RUSLE (soils loss) and aren't intending to use it for engineering permit stuff, you are pretty well down to site profile analysis.

Yes... increasing the cell size is one option, but it affects slope obviously.

Haven't seen any real movement in developing a toolset for this type of work that works in all situations or a bulldozer can't handle.

0 Kudos
TimAnderson5
New Contributor II

Yes, I am unable to find a way to do the slope analysis (almost exactly the same as the other recent inquiry) short of manually on paper and then tracing lines. It would need a sophisticated routine beyond the ArcGIS tools that are currently available and specific to this type of slope analysis. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

3d analyst... Profile tool

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/ready-to-use/profile.htm

still got to do the line drawing, but it beats ticking contour lines on the edge of a piece of paper and manually doing scale conversion

0 Kudos