Select to view content in your preferred language

Arc Hydro DEM Culvert Burning

Jump to solution
06-16-2021 09:38 AM
Labels (1)
KevinSchmidt1
Emerging Contributor

Hello, I have two sets of data I would like to work with in Arc Hydro. It is important to burn the culverts into the DEM, otherwise, the roads will act as dams.

• A Digitial Elevation Model (DEM) generated from high-resolution LiDAR
  • Feature Class Polyline layer containing surveyed culverts

I was looking at using the Build Walls tool in Arc Hydro to burn the culverts into the DEM using the Input Breach Line Raster. However, this requires the culverts to be in raster format and currently they are a feature class layer. Similar issues in using the DEM Reconditioning tool, it requires the input to be in raster format.

Is there a tool to convert my Feature Class Polyline culverts to raster format or is there a tool/workflow in Arc Hydro which I can input the culverts as a Feature Class Polyline to burn them into the DEM and create a Hydro Conditioned DEM (I think this is often referred to an an AGREE DEM)?

10 Replies
MattNash1
Emerging Contributor

To burn the culverts into a lidar DEM, I run the DEM Reconditioning tool to create an AgreeDEM, using the culvert lines (after converting them to raster) as the "input stream raster" input.  I sometimes have to tweak the culvert lines a bit to make sure they completely breach the roads, then convert them to raster.

0 Kudos