Arc Hydro for ArcGIS Pro 2.5

03-06-2020 04:55 PM
Labels (1)
DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor
6 8 4,462

Over the last few years, we have been working towards integrating Arc Hydro into the ArcGIS Pro platform.  The release of Arc Hydro for ArcGIS Pro 2.5 includes over 200 Arc Hydro functions in the domain of terrain preprocessing, watershed and stream delineation, and characterization.  Most of the “old friends” from the Arc Hydro 10.x implementation are there, but some of the new functionality is not available in 10.x.  For example, only available in Arc Hydro in Pro is a whole toolset dedicated to wetlands identification using a machine learning approach – check out Gina’s blog on that.

Also, Arc Hydro for Pro 2.5 leverages the new Trace Network functionality that is available by participating in the Trace Network Beta program for ArcGIS Pro 2.5.  This core ArcGIS Pro functionality enables the Pro implementation of Arc Hydro functions that were previously unavailable due to dependency on geometric networks.  If you are interested in testing and reviewing the Trace Network and Arc Hydro tools built on top of it, please e-mail archydro@esri.com and we will get you registered in the Trace Network Beta program.

If you did not get a chance to recently review “Arc Hydro – Project Development Best Practices” and, specifically for Pro, the “Arc Hydro – ArcGIS Pro Project Startup Best Practices” documents, now would be a good time to do so.  Both documents, as well as all others in the Arc Hydro documentation series, are available on the Arc Hydro GeoNet page.

Arc Hydro Pro development continues and plans for the 2.6 release focus on including additional hydrologic and hydraulic modeling support tools and more extensive documentation.  If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Arc Hydro team either via the GeoNet page or directly via email using archydro@esri.com.

The Arc Hydro Team

8 Comments
HazelOliveParmes
New Contributor II

Hi Sir. How can I create a Hydro Network from Subwatersheds in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 if it has no Trace Network Tool? I really need some help on this 😞 Thank you

DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

In Pro 2.5, Trace Network was in beta and you had to be part of the beta program to have access to that functionality.  In Pro 2.6 and later, Trace Network is standard capability.  You really need to upgrade your Pro to 2.6 or latter (I suggest you upgrade to 2.7 or 2.8 since Trace Network has added capabilities in those versions).

HazelOliveParmes
New Contributor II

Sir, is it possible to generate a CN Grid in ArcGIS Pro?

DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

what data do you have?

HazelOliveParmes
New Contributor II

I have a raster file for the soil map and vector file for the land use map. I've watched tutorials on how to generate CN Grid using ArcMap, finished all the steps except the "Generate CN Grid". I couldn't find the "Generate CN Grid" tool in ArcGIS Pro 😞

DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

I think you are referring to HEC-GeoHMS capability.  HEC-GeoHMS is not ported to Pro.  But there is a fairly simple way to do it:

Option 1.

1. Create a raster of soils (each soil type has a unique integer value).

2. Create a raster of land use (each land use has a unique integer value).

3. Use "Combine" Spatial Analyst tool to create a raster of unique combination of land use and soils.

4. Use "Reclass by Table" on the result of #3 to assign CN value to each unique combination derived in #3.  The tricky part will be to develop the reclassify table.  You could also use simple "Reclassify" if you want to type in values.

Option 2.

For more control, instead of using 1-3 above, once you have #1 completed, multiply it by some big  round number (lets say 1000 so value of 1 becomes 1000, 2 2000, etc.) and then add that to #2.  so if you had soil with value 1 and land use with value 2 at a location, the final value will be 1*1000+2 = 1002.  Now you can map the 1002 to proper CN value and then use reclassify.

You should move further discussion outside of Pro 2.5 document thread.  You will get more views and possibly more answers.  This thread is focused on questions related to the document, not general questions.

HazelOliveParmes
New Contributor II

Thank you so much, Sir! This will be much of a help. I have already asked in different platforms but no one answers my questions, that's why I thought maybe you're the best person to ask such question. 

DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

:-).  i might be, but if we communicate here, nobody else will benefit (and i also might not always be as responsive so you might be missing an opportunity for someone else to answer).  

make sure you post it on the water resources questions board:

https://community.esri.com/t5/water-resources-questions/bd-p/water-resources-questions

that is where you will find other "water" people.