Firstly, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm also apologizing in advance for the lengthy reply, as the scope of my current project is two fold and I want to provide as much clarity as I can. The first problem is my attempt to standardize years of historically siloed GIS data from four municipal districts. This unfortunately means four different ways of creating, modifying, and maintaining the data. In terms of the general data I've got, it all begins with a no longer maintained city wide "Sidewalk Inventory" shapefile. It was based on the same centerline but provided added descriptions of sidewalks, paths, and walkways. One of the four districts used this for its operational winter data of which I've attached a view. Two other districts have utilized the centerline as a basis for their sidewalk operations, but described sidewalk type differently, or not at all. The last district is potentially my Achilles heel as a previous analyst manually created a dual line dataset for their operations but then decided to remove all centerline related data from it. I have not even started to think how to deal with this problem yet. So given that 3/4 districts were centerline based, I started migrating them into the newest centerline release and kept the "type of sidewalk" attributes where they exist as the old city wide inventory data did to have some uniformity. The sidewalk segment screenshot in my original post reflects a dataset from external consultants who mapped sidewalks in the district that omitted having a sidewalk type attribute in their data. That is the reason I want to pull all usable attributes from it into my consolidated data. Lastly, the second task is to then compare my consolidated data against the consultants metrics to ascertain the length of sidewalks which if exist, are physically serviceable by winter equipment and how many routes are required to provide complete coverage. I am obviously not concerned with this right now but wanted to provide an A-Z of the entire picture. Please let me know if anything is unclear or you'd prefer some further detail.
... View more
Chris, This is very old information: The Arcview format for the a turn table (.dbf) at a minimum needs three columns called Node_, F_Edge and T_Edge. Similarly the workstation ArcInfo turn table (.info) format had Node#, FromArc#, ToArc#. You can rename the columns CENTRELINE to F_Edge and CENTRELI_1 to T_Edge (or you can add new fields and copy values to them). But I am not sure where you will get valid Node id's that were part of the AV network analyst shape file (Nodes.dbf) for the GP tool to disambiguate the from/to edge ids and come up with a valid turn. There is an INTERSECTI column in the turn table and perhaps that can be put to some use. For example, you can try to make a network on your shape file centerlines. This will create a junction's feature class with junction ids. You can then try to match the junction id's to the INTERSECTI field (maybe a spatial join may work). I would suggest doing this for turns at one intersection and see if you can make it work. Jay Sandhu
... View more