Pre-UC Survey feedback ESRI UC Q&A as PDF?

Jump to solution
06-27-2018 08:46 AM
deleted-user-g-GgHmR0fUvU
New Contributor II

Great to see Jack's Esri UC Q&A, released today.  This is always very informative.

In previous years, the PDF version with all the questions answered was perfect for reading on the plane to San Diego.

Any chance a PDF version will be made available this year? 

User Conference

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlottePapp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michael,

This year the Esri UC Q&A will only be available on our webpage. You can view the results here.

Thank you,

Charlotte

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CharlottePapp

Hi Michael,

This year the Esri UC Q&A will only be available on our webpage. You can view the results here.

Thank you,

Charlotte

deleted-user-g-GgHmR0fUvU
New Contributor II

The web interface I'm sure makes it easier to track which answers get read, but the experience as a reader makes it as much about the interface as it is about this very important content. It's not supportive of thought and consideration, but more about "one damn click after another" to paraphrase Edward Tufte.

In my Chrome browser, clicking on most questions drops me to the bottom of the page, necessitating a scroll back up the page to the answer each time, which grates after so much repetition.

If I click on a link to a listed website for, say the GeoPlanner GitHub wiki, it opens in the same tab, requiring when I go back to hunt through the topic headings back down to the question I clicked away from.

With sites like this, I might open multiple tabs to view a series of questions alongside each other, but the Angular content doesn't allow a right-click and "open in new tab".

I'm forced to wrestle with the interface instead of engaging with the content.

If the intention is to inform conference attendees, providing both this interface for people who drop in, but also a single PDF document for those who want to take this on the road and give it the careful attention warranted by Esri's efforts here seems best.

Would you be willing, Charlotte, to provide a single document with all questions and answers or pass this suggestion on to whomever can make that happen, even for a future conference?

CharlottePapp

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately this year we will not be able to provide a PDF of the Q&A, but we will definitely take these concerns into consideration for next year’s conference.

Thank you,

Charlotte

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please pass on to the UC team that this was a terrible decision from my perspective too. 

The way I use the Q&A is I send it to my Kindle and/or print it out and read it on the way there. Because of the format I did not have time to get very far with it and ended reading only two links. 

Please ask them to post a PDF with internal links like before, it's MUCH more useful that way.

KristenWobbe1
Occasional Contributor

I totally agree with Curtis and everything in his Geonet thread about Jack's Q & A content.  Having the PDF format to print out for reading offline, or on the plane, is a very helpful and useful way to serve it and get the message out for broader communication.