Help Out UC Newbies and Share Your UC Tips!

05-05-2017 05:39 PM
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

It's almost that time of year. As we get ready for the User Conference, we want to help first-time attendees prepare, so we're looking for those who have been to UC before to offer tips, advice and share other helpful knowledge to help first-timers make the most out of their experience.

So, let us know... what should first-time attendees do to prepare and have a successful UC? What should they do during and after the event to maximize learning and networking? What strategies work for you? What do you wish you did differently at your first or last UC? 

Your tips will be shared here on GeoNet in the User Conference group, as well as in other pre-UC communications going out over the next couple months. Post your tips below and thanks for sharing and spreading the word! 

See what others have previously shared each year below.

Esri Community Strategist
88 Replies
MichaelMontemayor
Esri Contributor

Adrian - I have had great luck with Ace Parking down there:

https://space.aceparking.com/

It's a 5-10 minute walk to the convention center depending on which lot you choose.  If riding a scooter from the parking lot to the convention center is your jam, you can park and arrive quickly using Lime or Byrd scooters.

It's a little bit cheaper at $15 per day.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Michael,

Thanks for the follow up.

Has anyone had trouble with the scooters and not wearing helmets? I understand on Mission Beach (this was last July), the police were handing out tickets to anyone riding one of the scooters without wearing a helmet since that is a requirement of those electric scooters.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yikes, Curtis. That's a terrible story! I agree, Boo Scooters!

0 Kudos
KyleWikstrom
Occasional Contributor II

The City of San Diego has its Rules and Regulations posted online regarding scooter use. Helmets are addressed in Section 21235.c

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Looking at the City of San Diego Rules, here is what the above link says:

(Scooters) 21235.
The operator of a motorized scooter shall not do any of the following:

(c) Operate a motorized scooter without wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

So, finding Section 21212 is a little more difficult. But, I found this:

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/bicycle-pedestrian-safety-brochure.pdf

Safety for Scooters and Skateboarders

Every skateboarder, and those using scooters or skates should ALWAYS wear a helmet. (It’s the law for everyone under the age of 18 years.) (VC 21212(a))

So, what I'm gathering is, it's suggested for everyone but required for those under 18.

Further down, it says this:

- Helmets are required for everyone under the age of 18 years when riding a bicycle, scooter, skateboard or skates. (VC21212 (a))

- Helmets are strongly recommended for people of all ages.

- Wearing a properly fitted helmet can reduce the risk of serious head injury by 85%

But, even FURTHER down, it says:

Don’t forget – helmets are required to scooter too! (VC21212(a))

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A helmet won't keep those jerks from running you over. The poor pedestrians need helmets too.

JohnPreysner
Esri Contributor

paul martinet‌ - a great list to review!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Less than one week from the 2019 Esri User Conference!  Thought this deserved a <bump> up to refresh/update any UC tips/tricks you may have or to peruse the one's listed here.  See you in San Diego!

0 Kudos