How to Calculate Field in network feature layer with join

12-13-2020 12:16 PM
TimWhiteaker
Occasional Contributor II

Issue: When attempting to calculate a field on a simple junction layer with a table join, I get an error stating that I have to be in an edit session.

To recreate the issue:

1.  Create a trace network, including a point feature class as simple junctions. 
  2. Add the junctions to a map.
  3. Add a field to the junctions. For this example, use type Double.
  4. Join another layer to the simple junction layer.
  5. Use the Calculate Field geoprocessing tool to calculate the new Double field. Or, just right-click the field name in the table window and click Field Calculator.
  6. Try to calculate any value.  Even zero will suffice for this test.

In pro 2.6.3, I then get an error saying:

ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail. Contact Esri Technical Support (http://esriurl.com/support) to Report a Bug, and refer to the error help for potential solutions or workarounds.
An edit operation is required. [WRProxyMZ]
Failed to execute (CalculateField).

In ArcMap, the workaround would be to click Editor > Start Editing.  I don't know how to do that in Pro.  Instead, my current workaround is to click a cell in the attribute table and write some bogus value, in this case zero, so that the edit tab on the ribbon has the Save button enabled.  I believe this is the equivalent of having an edit session open.  Then, I can calculate the field as normal.  But, that seems kludgy, so what's the proper way of handling this issue?

Thanks!

1 Reply
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi there Tim, I walked through your scenario and I am seeing the same.  Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this.  I am going to bring this back to the team for review.

0 Kudos