TGI5 - Episode 049 - Communicating Broadband Availability via GIS

03-02-2022 10:50 AM
Labels (1)
Kyle-Crawford
Esri Contributor

Welcome back to Telecom GIS in Five Minutes. Our infrastructure is at a critical crossroads. Roads, utilities, telecom, and transportation networks are in major need of upgrades, and simply put, the sustainability of our infrastructure is in question. 

But with the Infrastructure Bill, I see a huge opportunity. Telecom needs to bring data together so it can be analyzed, understood, and used to drive action, and stakeholders need to leverage data across departments and groups in order to achieve the result we want. And GIS can be an important component for broadband providers and local governments or jurisdictions to formulate infrastructure strategies. Using GIS as a collaborative framework, communities can make more strategic decisions and monitor the performance of investments in infrastructure. 

So today, I would like to show you a quick look, at how Internet providers and local jurisdictions can communicate and facilitate Broadband availability in simple steps with ArcGIS. 

With ArcGIS Online you can perform some quick and simple analysis such as a heat map based on the request tracking layer. This will provide you insight into where the population is growing in existing and new communities. 

The key thing I want to point out is that we are establishing this communication channel between internet providers and prospecting or existing customers. We can then transform the way that we analyze infrastructure challenges working closely with communities and citizens trying to rebuild, rethink, or upgrade our infrastructure to meet the needs of the future. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Till the next time, we out.

Kyle Crawford | Solutions Engineer |  Telecommunications

0 Replies