Communications Utility Network Foundation (Esri)

09-22-2017 09:00 PM
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

The Esri team is continuing to refine and improve the data model for comms data management on ArcGIS Utility Network Management. Use this thread to provide input on the requirements of the data model, capabilities of the telecom network, ask questions about the network, access early versions of data models, and stay up to date on the latest news. 

Communications Utility Network Foundation (Story Map)

Communications Utility Network Foundation Workflows (Story Map)

PNI ModelsStatus Last UpdatedSoftware Requirements
Fiber, Coax, Copper, WirelessVersion 1.3 Released November 20223/27/2023Introduction to Communications Utility Network Foundation - Requirements

Join the Discussion Below!

Thanks,

- Esri Telecom Team

telecominfo@esri.com

Solutions Engineer | Spatial Ninja  | GIS ️ | Telecommunications
74 Replies
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

Today, the Communications Data Management for ArcGIS Enterprise solution is released.  This solution provides the data model and framework for modeling telecom networks in the utility network. Learn more.

Esri Telecom: Communications Data Management Solutions 

SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

Version 1.1 - April 2021 Early Preview is now available. To learn more about this early preview and what's coming in the next release, check out this video: https://community.esri.com/t5/telecommunications-videos/telecom-gis-in-five-minutes-video-series-epi...

dky
by
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks very much for releasing this as a fully-contained project! 

It really does help us get up and running. 

I have a rather embarrassing question to ask, but I would really like to know ...

In the new 2021-04 v1.1 early preview release, in the "Communications Network Editor" map (in the Comm. Data Management project) there's a layer called "Error Layers" with a broken data source link. I think I know how to fix a broken data source but this doesn't appear to be the usual type ... 

I'd like to fix it but I don't really know how ... This "Error Layers" seems like a group layer, but it's got this data source ..

Any suggestions?

(I've attached two screenshots)

Many thanks,

Derek

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Derek,

I am excited that you have started exploring the updates in the model, and we have noticed the missing link you mentioned in your post, we have logged the issue and will provide a future fix on the error.

And you are correct about those three layers that are pointed towards three feature class in the database as below. The group "Error Layers" is more of a Wrap around those three layers, so no dedicated feature group towards it.

You can simply grab those four single Error Layers and form a group layer again.

JunJie-Ma_0-1618247599904.png

Again, sorry about the inconvenience and I really appreciate your post and findings, it only gets better from here.

Bests,

Junjie

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Derek,

As we are having more conversation on this topic. I would like to clarify and correct myself on the "Error Layers". The Error layers are not a group layer, but a special composite layer.

To add them to your map, please follow the step here:

Go to the "Service Territory" Layer, and select "Add Error Layers".

JunJie-Ma_0-1619468479169.png

Once again, I apologize for the confusion, and please let us know if there were any other questions.

Bests,

Junjie

VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

do you plan to add to the solution an asset report tool or a report template for ArcGIS PRO report?

Thank you,

Vladimir

Vladimir
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Vladimir,

Reporting is a great and important feature that you have mentioned. Even though it is not on the near-term roadmap, I will keep a note for it to see what we can do.

In the meantime, users are encouraged to build their own reports and leverage other Esri tools such as ArcGIS Dashboards to show the executive view of the network element summary. 

VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you @Anonymous User for clarification!

Vladimir
0 Kudos
omar-marji
New Contributor III

Hey,

I noticed in the new 2021-04 v1.1 early preview release, when creating a fiber cable between 2 splice enclosures that whenever I try to delete a created cable the following error message is shown

omar-marji_0-1620293332327.png

Is there something that I am missing here? I tried removing associated non spatial objects manually on both end until I reached a similar error on the Connector Group / Fiber communication junction objects at both ends.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Omar,

The reason why we will see this in Utility Network and the data model is that the current cable is being contained and also containing other objects.

So here are a few steps for us to ensure we clean up the additional features and association before we can execute the deletion. These are the Out-Of-The-Box steps to remove these features, so we are looking for future enhancements or partner solutions to make this more friendly. 

1. Select all the structure lines
  2. Right-click on the selected structure lines in the "Contained within" tree view
  3. Remove associations with the structure lines
  4. Select all the strands and connector groups (they will show up at the bottom of the attribute pane for later deletion process)
  5. Right-click on the selected Strands or Connector group in the "Contains" tree view
  6. Click on Remove Associations, for both strands and connector groups
  7. Now on the bottom, the selected strands and connector groups are still persisting on the selection pane, so please go ahead and delete them first (this way, you have eliminated those orphan features in the database)
  8. Now you are ready to delete that cable.

JunJie-Ma_0-1620325472468.png

Hopefully, these tips are helpful.