Communications Utility Network Foundation (Esri)

09-22-2017 09:00 PM
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

The Esri team is continuing to refine and improve the data model for comms data management on ArcGIS Utility Network Management. Use this thread to provide input on the requirements of the data model, capabilities of the telecom network, ask questions about the network, access early versions of data models, and stay up to date on the latest news. 

Communications Utility Network Foundation (Story Map)

Communications Utility Network Foundation Workflows (Story Map)

PNI ModelsStatus Last UpdatedSoftware Requirements
Fiber, Coax, Copper, WirelessVersion 1.3 Released November 20223/27/2023Introduction to Communications Utility Network Foundation - Requirements

Join the Discussion Below!

Thanks,

- Esri Telecom Team

telecominfo@esri.com

Solutions Engineer | Spatial Ninja  | GIS ️ | Telecommunications
74 Replies
omar-marji
New Contributor III

Thanks! That worked.

0 Kudos
MichaelSchnack
New Contributor II

Hello Patrick,

Any chance these are available as a .style rather than a .stylx?  We're Using ArcFM and will be on Desktop for some time. 

0 Kudos
DamianoMontrasio
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

we are implementing Communications Utility Network Foundation for an Airport.

We must model one logical switch, composed by 4 phisical switch (each with 4 ports in and 48 out) connected together.

I ask for best practice between:

• Scenario of one Switch 16 x 192: what happened if I add a fifth phisical switch? I must run Attribute Rule also on update?
  • Scenario of four Switch 4 x 48: how can they connected togheter?

In your opinion what is the recommended scenario?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

There are a few options, but you could have many switches in the same chassis, like this:

MikeMillerGIS_0-1669464035337.png

0 Kudos
DamianoMontrasio
New Contributor III

Hi Mike, scenario in your image is for 2 independent phisical switches.

My question is about 1 logical switch composed by different phisical switches connected togheter so that it behaves as a unique switch.

Interesting "Loc" used for Rack, what field you used for "Loc"? I don't have one...

DamianoMontrasio_0-1669734962126.png

Thanks

Damiano

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Sure, you can do that if you want.  

Loc is just an attribute.  Think when I build the base of these slides a long time ago, we had one field, but now there are multiple fields for location info.  

0 Kudos
DamianoMontrasio
New Contributor III

Hello.

I've discovered a new release of Communications Utility Network Foundation, that support "Distribution Cable Components" as controller of Cable Tier Subnetwork.

DamianoMontrasio_1-1669040293884.png

In my previous Asset Package, "Distribution Cable Components" isn't supported, only "Regional Cable Components".

DamianoMontrasio_0-1669040200871.png

Now I want to adopt new Asset Package but not lost data of my current FGDB.

What's best way to do so?

I tried to run "Apply Asset Package" with this parameters:

-Asset Package is the new from Fundation.

-Input Utility Network is my current FGDB

DamianoMontrasio_2-1669040648721.png

This is resulting error:

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1.32739
untools 2.9.3
Executing from ArcGIS Pro, 0 map(s), activeMap = False
Parallel processing enabled: 6
Asset Package schema version: 2.9
Removed whitespace from the following geodatabase items:
Field/AliasName: 'DWG_File
'
Staging directory -- C:\DATI\Utility Network\ESRI SOLUTION TELCO 2022\___XXXXXXX\AP_Workspace
The asset package has the following errors (9/9):
Item Field OID Value Message Level
0 Asset_Type_Structure_Junction_Communications_Pole None None 323|Pole with Riser Domain code|description must be 582|Pole with Riser error
1 Asset_Type_Structure_Junction_Wire_Vault_Access None None 161|Manhole Cover Domain code|description must be 161|Manhole error
2 Communications_Strand_Status None None 0|Damaged Domain code|description must be 0|Unknown error
3 Lifecycle_Status None None 0|Out of Service Domain code|description must be 256|Unknown error
4 Lifecycle_Status None None 2|In Service Domain code|description must be 8|Approved error
5 Lifecycle_Status None None 4|Planned Removal Domain code|description must be 4|Under Construction error
6 Workspace Domain None None esriFieldTypeSmallInteger Existing Structure_Junction_Communications_Pole_Height field_type is 'esriFieldTypeDouble' error
7 Workspace Domain None None esriFieldTypeSmallInteger Existing Wire_Pole_Height_Combined field_type is 'esriFieldTypeDouble' error
8 Workspace Domain None None esriFieldTypeSmallInteger Existing Wire_Structure_Junction_Support_Pole_Height field_type is 'esriFieldTypeDouble' error
Failed to execute (AssetPackageToUtilityNetwork).

Where I'm wrong?

Thank a lot...

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

You will need to create a new utility network and then port your data into that new UN.  You cannot apply the new asset package on top of your utility network.  I suggest using Data Loading Tools.  It is probably best to export your UN to an Asset Package and map the classes and the C_ tables to the new Asset Package.

0 Kudos
DamianoMontrasio
New Contributor III

Ok, now it's clear that Apply Asset Package isn't the right tool.

But, isn't clear for me this step "and map the classes and the C_ tables to the new Asset Package".

Where I can find documentation about this?

Many Thanks...

Damiano

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

It is not documented anywhere.  It is a data migration moving from one model to another.  If you do not need any of the new functions, there is no reason to move to the new model.

0 Kudos