Thanksgiving 2018 news

11-20-2018 05:02 AM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Friends, would you please share some news here about GIS in your situation? The notes that some of you have sent personally to me, or items that you are inspired to add upon reading others' entries. Tell us anything ... little tidbit, powerful "deal with it," or epic summary. Please REPLY to this note to keep it all in one thread.

Also, please make sure you have posted in our tally any GIS teacher trainings you did this year.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for what you do for LEARNERS OF ALL AGES!!

23 Replies
ShanaCrosson1
New Contributor III

I am working with a team to build Minnesota based GeoInquiries. We are in a "public beta" getting feedback on the first three topics. Several more are in the works. We've introduced them to several workshops in the last few weeks, mostly to teachers with very minimal or no knowledge of GIS. The Minnesota specific content is compelling to teachers and they say it'll be compelling to students. We hope that's the case! We're getting feedback from teachers who are testing them in the classroom.

In my other role, I am using Story Maps with undergrads in a variety of disciplines. Faculty in these courses do not have experience with GIS, but have been enthusiastic about applying the spatial thinking skills to their courses. We've had some great success and have learned a ton about how to make this a non-threatening project for both faculty and students. We hope to publicly share assignment templates, project ideas and tips/tricks at some point in the next few months, and open it up for others to share. 

ScottFreburg1
Occasional Contributor

You are a ROCKSTAR Shana! Thanks for all of your Story map workshops and for helping develop the MN geoinquiries. They will be awesome....

0 Kudos
SusanFlentie
New Contributor

I've had a GIS club at Lewistown Junior High School for the last 15 years.  We've squeezed several projects into small amounts of time.  We've been the state winners of the Samsung Solve for Tomorrow contest three out of the last four years using GIS technologies as part of our solutions.  This has brought in about $85,000 worth of technology equipment for our schools.  Last year we used Survey 123 and Web app builder to create an app that helps people communicate information about trails and emergencies in our rural area.  Currently we're working with our local veterans to create a story map of all the veteran memorials in our area.  

ScottFreburg1
Occasional Contributor

Keep rocking Susan!! Lewistown is where my relatives emigrated from Sweden. I still have relatives outside Grass Range and Winnett. My grand-parents are buried in the Lewistown cemetery. I have visited many times. So what you are doing makes my heart swell just a little bigger. I worked for the MT-DNR for 4 years and was part of the first MT GIS statewide conference. I know the GIS folks in MT would love to geomentor. Give them a shout. Keep up the awesome work, and sharing with all of us.

0 Kudos
MichaelJabot
New Contributor III
A couple of exciting things are happening here. The idea of "Teaching with Digital Maps" has helped draw a much larger crowd of teachers to come and join in on the conversation.
My Dual Credit offering has grown to around 50 students and it looks like this could more than double next year with more schools and an increase in CTE connections.
"GIS in the Classroom" is a PLT that I am offering with the New York State Master Teacher Consortium. I am starting with the group in Buffalo with plans to expand across NYS. The Master Teachers are a group of teachers recognized by the NYS Legislature and funded ($60,000) for their Professional Development. So I am hoping that this group will also lead to developing some "disciples" across NYS
Finally, I am partnering with National Geographic around PD outreach and their Geo-Inquiry Process
JenniferJudkins
New Contributor

Hi Charlie-

I wanted to share with you that I attended my first GIS Educator's Day in NY recently. It was such a wonderful experience and so thoughtfully designed! The group was small but the quality was outstanding. I brought one of our district's elementary Digital Learning Coaches with me to Educator's day. She was completely new to GIS but left feeling energized and excited about the possibilities of using some of the wonderful resources and possibly making her own maps for use at our elementary schools. I have SO much to learn, but Educator's Day and my T3G experience have totally sold me on the the value in teaching with  in our K-12 school district. At times the learning curve can feel overwhelming, but the resources available allow me to choose "just right fit" activities to begin to build my confidence and experience. I am hoping to continue my learning by attending the spring conference in New England and would like to bring my daughter, who is a Junior in high school, to see the possibilities and career opportunities in GIS, since she has expressed a strong interest in environmental science!
  I shared in our discussion at the end of the day that I feel that SO many educators would benefit from learning and using GIS in their classrooms, but so few know about it. I have been working in educational technology for some time now, currently as a director of technology for a school district, and previously as a Digital Learning Coach (supporting classroom teachers in their use of technology for learning). I regularly attend local, regional and national technology conferences. I'm on Twitter and Google + connecting with others in this "Ed Tech" space and, while I knew what GIS was, I had no idea of it's use as a tool in K-12 schools, nor the amazing curated resources available online, not to mention free access to this ESRI platform!! I was only introduced to GIS last year by a teacher in our high school earth sciences program. On her recommendation, I attended T3G training this summer. I mention all of this in hopes that you and your colleagues (or other T3G'rs) might consider tapping into educators via Ed Tech conferences such as ISTE (national) and MassCUE (MA ISTE Affiliate conference) or other ISTE Affiliates all over the country. For my part, I am planning to offer a conference session at MassCUE's Fall conference on GIS next year. I present at nearly a dozen conferences each year and consult with school districts to provide training on educational technology, so I will do what I can to share out the opportunities for GIS in education!!
-Jenn
Jennifer Judkins
Director of Digital Learning
Lexington Public Schools
Lexington, MA
Enrique_GLegaspi
New Contributor II

What do you want me to know, and to tell? 

The geo-inquiries are important to instruction because you can see the growth in student work and is connected to clear standards...and a staple to my classes and journaling.  The lessons are pivotal to developing the geo-inquiry process- it provides a framework to participate in and allows my students to explore data deeper and explore techniques in the various mapping software/platforms encompassing/supporting GIS.  In essence, GIS is essential to the HS experience because we can focus on the inference skills required to analyze and act on data.

I want you to know that ArcGIS is powerful when integrating identity into the lesson layers, students are motivated when they feel included in the data.

Tell others that Tapestry Segmentation is potent, what does your zip code say about you? Is a tremendous way to engage students in narratives and learning to ask the right questions.

Pay close attention to superstar community colleges that are pushing the GIS work into HS, I have seeded GIS in Boyle Heights, South Central LA, and now in South Gate.  Comparing the different experiences, I feel that willingness has been the main ingredient to success in the urban schools where GIS is being used.  When I was in Boyle Heights the vision was to get dual enrollment for our students; like we were able to establish with 3D and ELAC.  However, the bureaucracy and willingness of the essential stakeholders was poor and challenged the potential and momentum, thus isolating the GIS scale in BH.  Now in South Gate, working with willing partners like Rio Hondo College and the High School STEAM Legacy HS has helped the work accelerate and grow robustly.  The partnership is authentic and feels effective and efficient because the hardware, the software, the people, and the training is in sync. 

What do you see? What works? 

I see kids creating maps in abundance with critical thinking skills - they are fully engaged; creating, curating, turning on and off the layers to understand and simpler our world.  Giving students in HS GIS is essential, it does work and gives all stakeholders a "taste" of the possibilities of any school vision or amplifies any schools' vision.

If students are given the tools to map their community they will make the inferences to augment the development of designing solutions that are plaguing the community.

What do you seek from us? 

I seek a GIS library, a place where students of LA can call the LIBRARY OF GIS on the west coast, a place where students can make and actively participate in the GIS inquiry process, specifically, being able to access collections of GIS knowledge.  The libraries can be carved on to school campuses and represent a collection of past, present, futuristic content. 

I also seek opportunities where students can see GIS and DRONES in action

Lastly, we seek GIS opportunities that build partnerships with elementary and middle schools + colleges…

I make no promise other than to read and digest, but I’m always asked: “Give us specific examples.” And so yet again thank you if you can help us help others. Be safe!

The most specific example I can share is the work happening in South Gate, where 12 students used Geoinquiries, LearnArcGIS, and Teach with GIS to build a foundational set of skills and develop a comprehensive understanding of spatial literacy and the geo inquiry process. 104 hours, 52 hours of  lecture and 52 hours of lab set the pace for a new wave of GIS pioneers to discover the problems of our world and to begin a mindset where they feel like  they can use data provide answers to the questions they ask, know where to acquire the data, analyze the map, explore the layers, and act on the issue.  In short, the GIS 120 students have delivered a new experience where STEAM is the theme, and GIS is the main ingredient inspiring the work being created by all grade levels at STEAM legacy to augment the theme.  Since launching GIS at South Gate it has reinvented the existing partnerships, to refocus the schools' work on relationships that encompass high-quality instruction and meaningful accountability.

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

The K-12 school I am working with has applied to start a new CTE class in the fall and they plan to teach GIS. Internship preparation would be incorporated into the CTE class. They are interested in getting their high school students into law enforcement internships.

The assistant principle wants me to be on the advisory board for their school which is an Applied Science Focus and  Innovation (EST) Pathway school for their district.

The teachers are interested in using a three tiered approach for students as they become trained for certification. I suggested the terminology of the GRACE model explorers, investigators, and interns and they like it. That way students can begin as explorers in middle school and be at the intern level by 11th or 12th grade. They want to integrate training for the entry level certification into their curriculum.

I told them about the  T3G webinar, M.A.G.I.C. for Schools and how  the presenter is a contact person for helping school integrate training - so students can work toward the certification. The team leader wants as many contacts about integrating GIS into the curriculum as possible. They found the webinar recording to be helpful. One great thing about the webinar is that I realized a point of confusion - that I needed to clarify between the terms certificate vs certification.

The teachers like the idea of students electing the pathway at each stage (explorers, investigators, and interns)- so even if students did not train all the way to the certification level they would still have a sense of accomplishment. They talked about creating their own school certificates as the students complete each level They envision the GIS Program being in place next Fall. One thing I realize is that it is important to explain the role of a AGOO administrator in getting the program started. In this case the administrator is not a teacher. 

Regarding the teachers use of GIS in the classroom: The lead teacher is very excited to use GIS for project based learning with his class of 10th grade students. In particular he wants to use GIS to collect data. The students will sample drinking fountains for lead within the school. His R&D course has  a chemistry focus and he has ordered water testing kits that test for lead and copper (harmful chemicals). They are also interested in water quality of a local river.  The lead teacher is very excited that cell phones can be used to collect data. The middle school teacher was excited to learn about Michigan Basin geology layers and possibly using the view shed tool to show how light travels. The environmental science teacher with some GIS background is very interested in showing land cover change with remote sensing.

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

This is a NAF school and their district 8th grade Social Studies curriculum uses geoinquires in their required lesson plans.

ScottFreburg1
Occasional Contributor

Nice Going Allison! I like the direction they are heading at your school. I totally agree on the Admin role not being a teacher, although Tech folks generally are pretty swamped as well. have you looked at Single Sign-On? Check out Tom Baker's article (Using Google G Suite Single Sign-On for user management in ArcGIS Online). I also tweeted this article @SFreburgGIS. Keep rockin!!

0 Kudos