T3G2017 AGO Topic: Content/Sharing

04-21-2017 11:17 PM
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

In T3G2017, as part of homework AFTER Day 1 (April22) and BEFORE Day2 (by Thu April27), we want participants to look at information on GeoNet and post a question, offer an answer, or give an observation about working in ArcGIS Online Organization accounts. The four themes from which to choose and contribute at least one entry are

• Technical: start up, generating logins, setting roles and privileges
  • Content/sharing: Getting users generating and sharing content
  • Collaboration: Creating, using, and managing groups effectively
  • Management: Organization operations, especially maintenance at end of marking period, semester, or year.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT CONTENT/SHARING ASPECTS. (REPLY BELOW)

35 Replies
__invited__richardbschultz720
New Contributor II

Is there a "best practices" document somewhere for getting users to generate content?  I'm having some issues getting folks to engage...

0 Kudos
BarbareeDuke
New Contributor III

Great idea Rich!

0 Kudos
BarbareeDuke
New Contributor III

What are your favorite starter ideas for sharing with educators?  I like sharing a map that connects with a map series story map that embedded.  It gives folks a good idea on where to start.

JaniceElvidge
New Contributor II

I've started using data collection, either by iNaturalist or AGOL, as part of a field investigation in teacher training.  We lead them through how to conduct and then develop field investigations and use both paper and digital data collection from the beginning.  We then show them their data.  If they take the "advanced" class the next day we teach them how to use the program and look at, display and analyze the data.

We've found that by not telling them that they are going to do ArcGIS and just embedding it in the training they don't freak out!

PhillipHare1
New Contributor II

During the past year I have been trying to engage teachers of AP Human Geography.  I have found that starting with a couple of GeoInquiries, coupled with showing how they align with the course outline and previous free response questions, has been an effective gateway with a group where instructional time and tech concerns can be paramount.  

However, I have not been able to plan or work with longer training periods and I have heard from some I've worked with that they still get stumped when trying to push farther into AGO.  They get stumped on the data acquisition, the button pushing, etc.  I know there are lots of good material for just those issues.

Does anybody have a favorite resource for getting teachers over the "post-excitement over GIS now I need to go practice" hump?

0 Kudos
DonnaTlachac1
New Contributor

I wonder if we, as instructors, should start and index of layers and maps that pertain specifically to subjects, such as AP Human Geography.  What do you think?  Perhaps Charlie or Laura could start an area where we could share and collect useful data layers, as they are developed.  They could later be sorted according to different criteria.  The most effective would sort to the top.     I feel there is a need to remove the "needle in a haystack" approach to finding information that teachers sometimes feel.  We know the "go to" sources that we trust, but sometimes like to venture off to other offerings.  Maybe there would be a way to, not only list the effective layer in a catagory, but also rate the effectiveness of the data along with sharing what the data was used for.  I am not suggesting something as rigorous as standards, rather it would be a depository of resources available for teachers on GeoNET.  What do you think?  t3g2017‌

AlexNorthrup1
New Contributor

I am curious if it is possible for users to work simultaneously on the same map - if so, how?

0 Kudos
ShanaCrosson1
New Contributor III

I've had experienced teachers users tell me it's not. They get around this by creating a "group" login where a number of students use the same login in order to work on a map together. I'd love to know of another way to do this!

0 Kudos
InaAhern
New Contributor III

There are several issues here.  First of all, it IS possible to have users work on the same map by having the organization admin create a group that allows all users to modify the maps, and then getting the map shared with the group.  However from the reference I found at:  Enable colleagues to update your maps and apps | ArcGIS Blog this works for maps and some Apps, but not all.  My students were not successful with it using the Apps they wanted to use.

A group login can allow users to work on the same map, but not at the same time.  I warned my students of this, but on Friday one partnership found this out the hard way.  Both students had been working on one map and one was configuring popups while the other was symbolizing several layers.  When the popup person saved at the end of the period, suddenly all the symbology for the layers disappeared as the symbology had been saved previously but was not on the "copy" of the map the popup person was using.  Unfortunately, students are so used to working in Google files they've come to expect simultaneous editing.