Public Accesible Editable Feature Services

01-18-2015 01:06 PM
KathrynKeranen
New Contributor

The JMU Geospatial Semester has used several editable feature services over the last several years.  The service definitions of these editable feature services have now been uploaded to a public accessible group JMUGSS Public. All of the service definitions have been documented and are licensed under the Creative Commons License with attribution to JMU.   This gives you the right to do anything with these service definitions as long as you provide a link to the license (which is included in the metadata).  We want these services to be used widely.

In order to access the group go to http://arcgis.com.

Click on Sign In.

In the Upper Right Hand Corner there is the universal search icon.  Click in the small window and select Search for Groups.

Type in JMUGSS Public.

Click on the group and you will see the following service definitions:
Cell Phone Coverage

GPS Accuracy

Illuminance Measure

Line – Generic

Network Speed

Point – Generic

Polygon – Generic

Recording Temperature

Sound in dB.

Teacher Information

Trash Collector

Water Indicators

Read the details of the service definitions and decide which one you want to download and modify.  The services range from simple (Recording Temperature) to more complicated (GPS Accuracy and Network Speed).  When you decide do the following steps.

1.  Download the service definition to your computer.  The service definition is indicated by a

gear icon.  The service definition is now out of the cloud and on your device.  At this time  

you probably want to give the service definition a name associated with your organization.

What Happens:  If you rename the service definition it will not bring all the good

description on how to do the project.  If you don’t rename the service definition it will

bring the text but the formatting will be lost.

Personally, I would rename the service definition so it would reflect my

organization.  I would then edit and retype the description.

2.  Login to your own personal Organization Account.

3. Navigate to My Content and click the folder where you want to upload the service definition.

4.  Click on + Add Item >>From My Computer.

5.  Choose File. Navigate to where you stored the service definition and choose the file.

6.   Be sure that the square is checked to Publish this file as a layer

7.  Add appropriate tags.

8.  Click ADD ITEM.  You will see the wheel spinning as the Feature Service is created.

9.  Add layer to a map and Start Your Project.

3 Replies
EricCromwell1
New Contributor

Greetings!  Your EFS's have been very helpful.  I am starting our outdoor education program down the path of modernization.  The goal is to have students collect data in the field asynchronously (we cant afford cell phones for every student).  Once we get back in the building, the data can be uploaded for student use through our network.  So what I need is a tablet based data collection tool with GPS so students can mark their locations while in the field.  High accuracy is not a priority.  Do you have any recommendations?

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you seeking recommendations about a mobile device, data recording software, gps usable by a wifi-only mobile device, gps usable by a person attached to digital (mobile device) or analog (paper & pencil) resources for recording content, a workflow, or something else?

0 Kudos
EricCromwell1
New Contributor

All of the above.  I can already do the paper pencil model.  The plan is to use that in Kindergarten.  Kids collect the data and teacher inputs it into the system.  The tablet based version is what I am trying to solve.  I can (in theory) create an off line map for Collector, but I need a recommendation for the device with GPS.

0 Kudos