How can I elevate the power of ArcGIS Online and supporting tools/apps?

09-15-2016 08:19 AM
SarahHurd
New Contributor

Hi!  I am at the district level in a large K-12 school district.  My district is a Google district (we use Google Drive, email, etc.) so when it comes to mapping tools, that is all they want to use.  While Esri is an approved vendor, and we finally have an Org account, I continue to get push back around why I am not promoting Google My Maps, Google Earth, etc.  I am working hard to create some understanding around the power of ArcGIS Online.  Does anyone have anything that I can use to help improve my argument (attached is my current one-page document)?  Google My Maps has its place but I would like to have more evidence to provide about why the tools provided by Esri might be a better fit.  I hope I am making sense and any help, articles, research, comments, would be helpful.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sarah, this is an excellent question. First, we're ok with people using Google tools. More than anything, we want people to use maps, to think about places, and explore the world locally to globally. ANY map tool is far better than NO map tool. Then it's choice.

Some people like above all single sign-on, particular workflows, basic tools, and so on. If one's needs are limited, Google's tools may be perfectly adequate. If someone wants to do analysis, to generate custom apps, to integrate with a platform of apps, to incorporate vast galaxies of data, to have safe and secure logins for storing data including services that others can use, and to learn a technology that can lead to jobs in any number of industries, ArcGIS Online may be better suited. Students today need to be adaptable. Culturally, they need to think "pluralism." Technologically, they need to be able to mix and match, integrate, know the right tool for the job, and know how to use it. Prezi is better than PowerPoint for certain things; Notepad is better than Word for some things. Esri has built a rich platform of tools, designed for powerful uses and collaboration. Esri has built a network of people who are interested in helping educators learn to think geographically, using the power of analysis with GIS, to solve problems. It can start even at a young age. Also, note that people can collaborate with Esri tools, even elementary kids with just a public ArcGIS Online account, but the workflow is different from Google's; see  Making a Group Map (even just Option1 is powerful).

Generally, I think it's best to show people what's possible and let them make their decisions. You and your students and colleagues can do some pretty powerful things pretty easily, with Esri's tools. -- Charlie