High School GIS Certification? Credential? Micro-Credential?

01-07-2019 09:37 AM
ErikaKlose
New Contributor II

Hello amazing T3G folks, 

I am collecting information on programs that lead to some sort of certification, or credential, or micro-credential for students in GIS. WV wants to build a student certification in GIS, and I am attempting to see what, if anything, other states are doing. I know of a few programs (Geospatial Semester is the highlight!), but I'm also looking for pathways, or sets of courses, or sets of experiences, that students participate in that leads to some kind of credential. If anyone has any information, resources, examples, or ideas, please pass them along to me!

Thank you so much!

- Erika

5 Replies
MarcEpstein
New Contributor II

This is something of major discussion when we were with the California Community Colleges Environmental Training Centers on a program working with high school career academies.  We outlined some ideas which never got traction because of the community colleges restrictions of enrolling students at a college outside their district or making articulation agreements.  Since that time the technology has moved forward.  

For high school students as a micro certificate I would recommend something which has three elements. The first would be learning ArcGIS Online along with knowledge of using Google My Maps and itouchmap.com.  The second would be learning some basic GIS software skills to create line and polygon files with data attributes to import into ArcGIS Online.  I would recommend QGIS.  The final element would be a project.  An indepth Story Map with criteria.  Using the judging criteria from National History Day would be a good place to look for a template.  

If you want to contact me via Email we have a number of items which would be of interest.  My Email is marcepstein@hotmail.com.  Also the Geospatial Technology page on our website has a lot of that available.  environmentalteched.net

MichaelCamponovo1
New Contributor II

Erika - I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but we offer a CTE course, Intro to GIS, at the high school level. Unfortunately there isn't a certificate that goes with it. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/ccte/cte/cte_std_geographic_information_systems.pdf 

In an idea world, high school students would be able to dual-enroll in Roane State Community College's online GIS Certificate program (Geographic Information Systems (AAS) - Roane State Community College ) and finish the Geography or GIS program through the TN Promise scholarship (Tennessee Promise ). As Marc mentions above, however, we've run into issues with accreditation, course transfer, etc. 

0 Kudos
FranHarvey2
New Contributor III

In June 2016 the Louisiana Workforce Investment Commission approved our application for the Esri User Certification* Industry-Based Certification for high school students.   

Working together with industry partners, JumpStart regional teams and our organization, LARSGIS Institute, we have made great inroads towards developing a comprehensive program which includes creating GIS courses, designating the GIS courses into approved pathways and working with the Louisiana Department of Education to approve the courses so high school students may have the opportunity to begin taking a GIS entry-level course and if they choose, sit for an exam.   Upon passing the exam they earn a GIS Industry-Based Certification. 

Last summer, July 2017, during the Esri User Conference, two of our National 4-H GIS/GPS Leadership Team members took the ArcGIS Desktop Entry exam at a reduced rate, as the exam costs $225.00, which is very costly to high school students.  We were all grateful for this reduction in costs and the opportunity to take the exam at the conference.

For more information for to www.gginstitute.org 

*ArcGIS Desktop Entry exam

ErikaKlose
New Contributor II

Fran, 

Can you give me a call at 304-558-8830 x 53213 or send me an email at eklose@k12.wv.us? 

I have some questions .... and I want to pick your brain!

- Erika

0 Kudos
FranHarvey2
New Contributor III

Will do, Erika.  It is a complex issue. 

0 Kudos