Chrome and Esri are not friends

01-13-2017 08:53 AM
LoriHare
New Contributor III

Anyone else having issues with Chrome? It's not playing nicely with Esri.

I had to clear my cache in order to access GeoNet, and now it's happening with http://k12.maps.arcgis.com

I get this error: http://k12.maps.arcgis.com/home/error.html?c=AccessDeniedResource. It works fine in Firefox.

I saw the note about the automatic https thing, but I'm not seeing it here. What's the deal?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

It will be interesting to hear if others are having this problem. I have not been, and have not heard of others with this issue. (Are you on Mac or Win?) However, I reboot daily and regularly (~week or so) blow out my browser caches, and sometimes even "uninstall-reboot-reinstall-reboot-test" software (not just for Esri software). Hardware, OSs, and software packages are sufficiently complex and interwoven that it is sometimes useful to engage these more dramatic "readjustments." With Chrome, there is a shortcut capacity to "revert to freshly installed state," which is an intermediate step before the full deletion and reinstall ((Chrome/Settings/Advanced/All the way down to "Reset").

0 Kudos
ShanaCrosson1
New Contributor III

Same problem logging into GeoNet on Chrome just now. I took the easy way out and just switched to Safari, so will go troubleshoot Chrome tomorrow.

0 Kudos
LoriHare
New Contributor III

I'm on a PC with Windows and am notorious for NOT rebooting, so maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for the Chrome tip. I'll try it, too, but what a pain. I was hoping this could be a great place for our POD Facilitators to communicate vs. email (a la T3G group), but if it's unstable, I'm resistant to use it. They had issues as well.

0 Kudos
AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

Charlie I had the exact same issues with my Mac using the most updated Chrome. It extended to not being able to create a Crowdsource Storymap. I talked to Rupert about it and ended up using Safari. Rupert and his colleagues were unable to duplicate. Sorry Lori I didn't jump in sooner. I have been wracking my brain to figure out what I did finally to get my Chrome to behave. 

0 Kudos
DominiqueEvans-Bye
New Contributor III

Interesting, I'm having trouble with the Crowdsource storymap now too. It works for a while, then it doesn't. I'll try it in firefox. Charlie, are you saying I have to be logged out of the storymap for others to crowdsource it from their own computers?

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

I had a hiccup logging in yesterday while running Firefox. It was the very same message you were getting under Chrome. I opened up Chrome and logged in successfully without issue. Going back later, I realized that there was another tab that was logged into something in ArcGIS Online. The challenge that we run into often is that browsers are very good about passing credentials ... sometimes too good ... and if you tend not to completely kill a browser or reboot a machine or blow the cache, or "rip" tabs into their own windows and/or "merge" windows into a single window with multiple tabs, it's hard to know exactly what is communicating with what. My hunch for your original question, Lori, is that there was confusion in Chrome because of login conflicts either in an active tab or errant cache. For those of us who live with multiple logins, it's important to minimize the chances for login conflict.

AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

You know the other small thing to try is opening up GeoNet in Chrome Incognito (If you can't reboot at that moment). I think that is what worked back in November. It would also give you more intel as to the issue. Charlie's answer is the most appropriate response however. 

0 Kudos
BonnieBracey-Sutton1
Occasional Contributor II

I had the same problem. I think Firefox works best of all the browsers I use and Chrome kept giving me error messages but then would open the page or link. That was confusing.

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Browsers evolve quickly. Chrome is up to v59, Firefox up to v53, and they have "dot releases" in between. When behavior is not as predicted, the easiest, fastest best way to test is, in sequence, to (a) make sure your browser is up to date, (b) blow out the cache, and (c) test with only one operation in your browser at one time ... not a bunch of disparate tabs.