How to share a student's story map with parents without making it public.

Jump to solution
10-17-2018 08:17 AM
WilliamMcDevitt
New Contributor II

What would be the best way to share my student's Story Maps with their parents?  I see an option to share with our organization (which is all of their accounts) or public.  They are logged in with accounts that are not true name so there may not be an issue, but I was wondering if there was a way (such as in Google Docs) where you can share directly to a specific email address?  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

Hello William,  I have helped as a geomentor at two different schools now and part of the culminating projects have been student creation of story maps.  As one of my principles when agreeing to help in the classroom is the protection of student and teacher identifications.  What I do is create an account in my organization with sharing privileges and then those links can be shared publicly. The user name on the public account is one I made up and no student has access.  I ask that students don't identify themselves in the images or video.  Because their usernames are the first don't include last names, I don't think it is too much of a concern, but better safe. My name is out there, but I don't worry about that so much.

Here is a link to some story maps that the class developed and that the classroom teacher posted to the Fauntleroy Creek Watershed website.  

http://fauntleroywatershed.org/creek/reportsandstudies/DrainagePresentationMap.pdf 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

Hello William,  I have helped as a geomentor at two different schools now and part of the culminating projects have been student creation of story maps.  As one of my principles when agreeing to help in the classroom is the protection of student and teacher identifications.  What I do is create an account in my organization with sharing privileges and then those links can be shared publicly. The user name on the public account is one I made up and no student has access.  I ask that students don't identify themselves in the images or video.  Because their usernames are the first don't include last names, I don't think it is too much of a concern, but better safe. My name is out there, but I don't worry about that so much.

Here is a link to some story maps that the class developed and that the classroom teacher posted to the Fauntleroy Creek Watershed website.  

http://fauntleroywatershed.org/creek/reportsandstudies/DrainagePresentationMap.pdf 

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

If the story can't be shared publicly, then readers will need an ArcGIS account so their identities can be validated. If they have accounts in your organization you can just share the story with that Org and they will be able to see it. Other members of that Org will also be able to view them.

You could restrict viewing inside your Org further by creating a group, sharing the story into that group and choosing who in the Org can view that group. You can also use a group to share your story with people who are signed to other Orgs.

The above sharing methods require Org subscription accounts.

Public accounts (ie. free non-commercial use) accounts can view publicly shared stories but can't participate in Orgs or groups. (If you are using a Public account, a very low budget and definitely not recommended way to share a story map you create with just a few people you trust would be to give them your account credentials so they can log in as you to view it, but of course they could intentionally or unintentionally delete or modify your work, or start making their own cool story maps with your account, or forward your credentials on to someone else who isn't trusted).

WilliamMcDevitt
New Contributor II

Thank you, Rupert!  After viewing the other reply, I think I'm OK to share publicly.

0 Kudos
WilliamMcDevitt
New Contributor II

Thanks, Brian.  Their accounts have no PII in them at all, so I was thinking of just the sort of method you suggested.